ORANGE, Calif. – Less than 24 hours after scoring three runs in the season-opener, Concordia Wisconsin exploded for 11 runs in the first three innings en route to a 13-8 non-conference victory at Chapman.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 13, Chapman 8
Location: Hart Park (Orange, Calif.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-1, Chapman 10-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took one swing of the bat for junior Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) to put the Falcons in front with a three-run homer in the top of the first inning. Bryan Thomas received a free pass to first and Matt Schubert was hit by a pitch to set up Thyssen's long ball.
- The momentum continued in the second frame when Concordia Wisconsin put five more runs on the board to blow the game wide open and go ahead 8-0. Thomas had a two-RBI single to right field, which scored senior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) and Kyle Washburn.
- Schubert (senior, West Bend, Wis.) then drove in junior Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) on a sacrifice fly to left field prior to junior Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) smacking a two-RBI single to the left fielder to drive in Thyssen and Thomas. The Falcons efforts forced Panthers to pull their starting pitcher after 1.2 innings of work.
- Chapman put a run on the board in the bottom of the second, but Concordia Wisconsin responded with three more runs in the top of the third inning.
- Washburn touched home for an unearned run on a Ranieri single, while Thomas blasted a two-RBI homer down the right field line, scoring Ranieri on the play.
- The Panthers tallied three runs of their own in the bottom of the frame to cut the deficit to 11-4 after 18 outs of play. Tyler Cook hit a two-RBI home run to left center.
- The Falcons tacked on a run in the fifth and eighth innings when Schubert pushed Washburn across the plate with a bases-loaded single. Schubert later scored an unearned run in the eighth on a Panther error.
- Chapman added two runs in the fifth and a single score in the eighth and ninth frames.
- In all, five Falcons had two hits in the victory and five scored at least twice.
- Thomas (senior, Lowell, Ind.) scored three runs and drove in four, while Washburn (junior, Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) touched home three times and walked twice. Thyssen finished with three RBI.
- Junior Mike Magdziarz (Frankfort, Ill.) earned the victory after striking out four in 4.1 innings of work.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Despite scoring 13 runs, the Falcons had just 12 hits and capitalized on five Panther errors.
- Thyssen had the first home run of the season by a Falcon, while Thomas had his first shot over the fence.
- Thomas and Washburn each stole a base.
- Concordia Wisconsin last scored 10-plus runs during a 16-0, seven-inning victory at Marian on April 30 in the second game of a doubleheader last season.
- Chapman's Gavin Blodgett scored twice and drove in two runs. Justin Stream walked three times as the DH.
- Ben Vietze took the loss after giving up eight runs – four earned – in 1.2 innings of work.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin and Chapman complete the three-game series on Sunday with a 12 pm first pitch.