TUCSON, Ariz. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team dropped two games against Wesleyan (Connecticut) on the second day of its eight-game Arizona trip. The Falcons fell victim to a six-run Cardinals' sixth in the opener, falling 8-2, before being shut out, 3-0, in game two.
- Final Scores: Wesleyan 8, CUW 2 (Game 1); Wesleyan 3, CUW 0 (Game 2)
- Location: Kino Sports Complex – Tucson, Arizona
- Records: CUW 3-4; Wesleyan 3-0
WESLEYAN 8, CUW 2 (GAME 1)
- The Cardinals broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom the sixth with a six-run outburst, highlighted by a grand slam off the bat of Matt Jeye. CUW, which issued eight walks and two hit batsmen in the game, walked three and hit one in the six-run sixth.
- Wesleyan took a 1-0 lead on an unearned run in the bottom of the first but the Falcons responded in the top of the second on a solo home run by senior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.).
- The Cardinals would go back on top with a run in the bottom of the fifth when Jeye was walked with the bases loaded. CUW again quickly responded as junior Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) drove in senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) with an RBI single in the top of the sixth.
- Junior Mike Magdziarz (Frankfort, Ill.) got the start for the Falcons and threw 4.2 innings, allowing two runs, one earned. He struck out three, walked four, and allowed just three hits.
- Five different Falcons collected hits in the opener. Wesleyan was paced by leadoff batter Andrew Keith, who collected two hits and scored three times.
WESLEYAN 3, CUW 0 (GAME 2)
- The Falcons couldn't get anything going in game two, despite a couple of strong scoring chances in the first and seventh innings. In the first, CUW put runners at the corner with one out, but an inning-ending double play ended that scoring opportunity.
- The Falcons would threaten in their last at-bat in the seventh inning, loading the bases with nobody out. That is when Wesleyan turned to reliever Asher Young, who recorded two strikeouts and a fly out, allowing the Cardinals to complete the sweep with the shutout in the second game.
- Freshman Alex Prickett (Franklin, Wis.) pitched well in his second career start. The rookie right-hander tossed 5.2 innings, allowing three runs with three strikeouts. He gave up a pair of walks and six hits. Freshman Kenny Meloy (Gilbert, Ariz.) threw the final 1.1 innings, striking out two in a return to his home state.
- Wesleyan received a strong start from Alec Olmstead, who allowed just two hits in six-plus innings of work. Olmstead gave up a hit to the Falcons leadoff batter (Dan Ranieri) and did not allow another hit until Tewes singled in the seventh. Olmstead finished with two strikeouts and five walks.
- CUW will have two days off before taking on Macalester for a doubleheader Thursday. Game one is set for a 3 p.m. start in Arizona (5 p.m. central).