TUCSON, Ariz. – Following a walk-off hit for Macalester in game one, the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team responded with a 6-3 win in game two, splitting a twinbill in Tucson Thursday. The Falcons will close the eight-game trip with two games tomorrow.
- Final Scores: Macalester 2, CUW 1 (Game One); CUW 6, Macalester 3 (Game Two)
- Location: Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium – Tucson, Arizona
- Records: CUW 4-5; Macalester 7-4
MACALESTER 2, CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 1 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons fell victim to a walk-off win for the Scots in the opener. With two outs and runners on second and third, Macalester received the winning hit from Collin Brantner.
- CUW scored its lone run of the game in the top of the fifth when senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) tripled in junior Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.). The Falcons were trailing 1-0 at the time as Macalester struck first in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Falcons received a strong start from junior Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) as he threw 6.2 innings, allowing the two earned runs. Gibbons scattered nine hits and struck out three. Anson Justi picked up the win for the Scots, throwing one inning of relief. Cole Change was the starter for Macalester, delivering six strong.
- Thomas and junior Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) collected two hits each to pace the Falcons attack.
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 6, MACALESTER 3 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons trailed early in game two as Macalester scored three unearned runs in the second inning. CUW would answer with a three-run third, highlighted by a two-RBI single off the bat of Ranieri. Junior Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) drove in a run with a single in the frame as well.
- CUW would take its first lead of the day in the fifth on an RBI single from Ranieri. Thomas would add an RBI groundout in the frame, making the score 5-3 in favor of the Falcons. Senior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) added a run-scoring single in the sixth inning for some insurance for the Falcons.
- Sophomore Nick Hirst (Davenport, Iowa) pitched well in picking up his first win of the season. Hirst went five innings, allowing three runs, all unearned. He struck out two while allowing four hits. Junior Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) recorded his first save of 2017 by throwing 1.2 innings with a pair of strikeouts.
- Luft and Ranieri paced the Falcons from the one-two spots in the order with two hits each. Luft scored twice, while Ranieri drove in a game-high three runs. Junior Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) added two hits and two runs scored from the nine spot in the lineup.
- The Falcons will close their eight-game Arizona trip with two more games tomorrow morning. CUW will battle Augsburg with the first pitch of game one set for 9 a.m. (pacific).