MEQUON, Wis. – After falling victim to a walk-off single in the opening game of Saturday's doubleheader, the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team responded with a 14-2 rout in game two. The Falcons and Wisconsin Lutheran split the NACC-opening twinbill, which was played at Kapco Park, but with the Falcons as the visiting team due to unplayable conditions at the Warriors home field.
- Final Scores: WLC 5, CUW 4 (Game One); CUW 14, WLC 2 (Game Two)
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 7-6, 1-1 NACC; WLC 7-8, 1-1 NACC
CUW 14, WLC 2 (Game Two)
- Senior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) was the story of game two as he belted a pair of home runs and drove in four in the 12-run win. Schubert hit a solo home run in the fourth and added a three-run blast in the seventh inning. He finished the game with three runs scored.
- The Falcons used four big innings to down the Warriors in game two. CUW jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first as junior Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) hit an RBI double and later scored on a wild pitch. CUW would add four in the fourth, three in seventh, and five in the ninth for the 14-2 win.
- Freshman Alex Prickett (Franklin, Wis.) earned his first career collegiate win with a quality start for the Falcons. Prickett delivered six strong innings with four strikeouts. The rookie right-hander scattered six hits and gave up two earned. Freshman Spencer Garnett (Clarendon Hills, Ill.) picked up his first career save by throwing the final three innings of scoreless of relief.
- The Falcons received a strong showing from the top of their lineup in game two as leadoff man Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) collected four hits, drove in three, and scored twice. Ranieri added three RBI and a pair of hits from the number two spot in the lineup.
WLC 5, CUW 4 (Game One)
- The Falcons fell victim to a walk-off in the opener as the Warriors scored on an RBI single by Curtis Engelbrecht to complete a comeback victory.
- CUW led 3-0 after a three-run second inning, two of those on a triple off the bat of junior Justin Barney (Kenosha, Wis.). Barney added a double in the opener as he and Schubert paced the team with two hits. Junior Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) also tripled for the Falcons.
- The Warriors scored in five different innings and didn't tie the game until the score was 4-4 in the seventh. CUW had great scoring chances in each of its final three at-bats, but couldn't push across the winning run, setting the stage for the Warriors walk-off.
- Sophomore Brett Kolacki (Midlothian, Ill.) was the Falcons pitcher of record and one of four CUW pitchers to toe the rubber in the opener. Junior Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) started and lasted 4.2 innings, while freshman Kenny Meloy (Gilbert, Ariz.) threw two innings. Junior Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) recorded one out for the Falcons.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Schubert became the seventh player since 2007 to hit two home runs in one game for the Falcons. The last player to accomplish the feat was Mitchell Dubnicka on May 7, 2015.
- CUW will return to action tomorrow for a home doubleheader against Aurora. First pitch from Kapco Park is set for noon.