MEQUON, Wis. – For the second straight day, the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team split a NACC doubleheader, this time going 1-1 against Aurora. The Falcons won the opener, 6-5, before dropping game two by a 5-3 score.
- Final Scores: CUW 6, Aurora 5 (Game One); Aurora 5, CUW 3 (Game Two)
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 8-7, 2-2 NACC; Aurora 11-7, 1-1 NACC
CUW 6, AURORA 5 (GAME ONE)
- After taking a 2-0 lead with runs in the second and fifth innings, the Falcons fell behind thanks to a three-run sixth by Aurora. CUW would respond with three in the seventh, two coming off a Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) home run. Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) added an RBI single in the seventh.
- The Falcons would extend their lead in the eighth inning when Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) scored on a wild pitch. Schubert finished the game with two hits, including a double, and scored two runs to pace the Falcons.
- Aurora threatened in the ninth inning, scoring two runs and loading the bases. That is when Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) came on the record the final out for his third save of the season. Niko Kutsulis (Homer Glenn, Ill.) picked up the win with three relief innings. Mike Magdziarz (Frankfort, Ill.) got the start in the opener, throwing five innings and allowing two runs.
AURORA 5, CUW 3
- Shaky defense was the story in game two as the Falcons committed four errors, which helped lead to a couple of unearned runs for Aurora. CUW led 3-2 after five, but the Spartans took the lead with two in the sixth and added an insurance run in the top of the seventh.
- Schubert had another strong game at the plate, collecting two hits, including a solo home run in the bottom of the first. The round-tripper was the third in the last two days for the senior shortstop.
- Schubert also started on the mound in game two, throwing seven innings. He gave up five runs, three of those earned, and struck out five. Elias McMahon was the winning pitcher for Aurora, throwing six quality innings, while Chris Roycroft earned the save with three scoreless frames.
- Ranieri collected two more RBI in the second contest, delivering a two-RBI single in the fifth. Aurora took the lead in the sixth when Mike Cherven belted a two-run home run.
- The Falcons will host UW-Oshkosh in a non-conference game Wednesday at Kapco Park. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.