MEQUON, Wis. – Strong pitching and great defense are a strong combination in baseball. That combo was on display Thursday as the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team defeated UW-Oshkosh, 3-2, in non-conference action at Kapco Park.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, UW-Oshkosh 2
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 9-7; UWO 8-8
OLIG AND LUFT POSTGAME
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons used four different pitchers in the win, including starter Matthew Olig (Plymouth, Wis.). Olig went 4.1 innings and allowed two runs while scattering four hits in his first career collegiate start. Niko Kutsulis (Homer Glen, Wis.) ended up getting the win, by throwing 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- As he has done all season, junior Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) closed the door with his fourth save of the year. Plachinski came on with runners on first and second and one out in the eighth and recorded a double play on a flyout to left field to escape the jam. He then worked a scoreless ninth inning.
- The Falcons defense did not commit an error, and also were plenty busy as UW-Oshkosh didn't strike out once at the plate. The defense included a couple of runners caught stealing by catcher Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.), great catches from Nathan Thyssen (Kimberly, Wis.) and Justin Barney (Kenosha, Wis.), as well as a strong game at third by Dan Ranieri (Loves, Park, Ill.). The Falcons were also aided by a few picks at first from Eric Paz (Kenosha, Wis.) and Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.).
- At the plate, the Falcons jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first, thanks in part to the only error of the game by the Titans. Ranieri scored the game's first run, while Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) drove in Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) with an RBI groundout.
- After the Titans cut the CUW lead to 2-1 with a score in the second, the Falcons responded with a run in the bottom of the fourth. It was Schubert who drove home Ranieri with an RBI single. Schubert now leads the team with 15 RBIs.
- Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) paced the offense with three hits, including a double. Ranieri added two singles and scored twice.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win was the first-ever for the Falcons over the Titans in four tries. CUW was defeated last season by UW-Oshkosh, 17-5.
- The Falcons will host Dominican for a NACC twinbill on Saturday. First pitch is set for noon at Kapco Park.