MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin finished up a doubleheader against the Dominican Stars on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon, grabbing two victories by scores of 10-4 and 4-2. The Falcons belted eight doubles in the opener and used a strong pitching performance from Matt Schubert in game two, securing a pair of NACC wins. Bryan Thomas finished the day with seven hits and seven RBIs to lead the Falcons attack.
Final Scores: CUW 10, Dominican 4 (Game One); CUW 4, Dominican 2 (Game Two)
Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
Records: CUW 11-7, 4-2 NACC; Dominican Stars 5-14, 0-6 NACC
THOMAS AND SCHUBERT POSTGAME
CUW 10, Dominican 4 (Game One)
- Concordia Wisconsin attacked the ball all game by constantly having runners in scoring position and capitalizing on it. The Falcons had 18 hits, eighth of them being doubles which ties the record for most doubles in a game (in games dating back to the 2007 season). Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) had three of those eight doubles.
- The Falcons put up seven of their runs in the first three innings, including three each in the third and fourth frames. Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) finished the game with five RBIs, including a two-run single in the third and a two-run double in the fourth.
- Thomas' day didn't end there as he roped an RBI double in the bottom of the eighth, scoring Schubert who drove in a run with a double earlier in the frame.
-Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) had a great day at the plate reaching base often for the Falcons from the top of the lineup. Ranieri had four hits and scored three times. The Falcons received 12 hits and eight RBIs from the one through four spots in the order, as Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) collected two hits as well from the No. 2 spot in the lineup.
- Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) collected two hits for CUW, including one of the team's eight doubles. Along with Schubert's three, Thyssen, Thomas, Ranieri, Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.), and Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) all collected doubles for the Falcons in the opener.
- Dominican was led by catcher Mike Buckley who recorded three hits and drove in a run.
- The Falcons got a strong performance from Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) in the opener as he delivered 6.1 innings, allowing three runs, one earned. Gibbons struck out three compared to one walk. Niko Kutsulis (Homer Glen, Ill.) came on for the final eight outs, allowing one run and striking out one.
CUW 4, Dominican 2 (Game Two)
- Schubert was the story for game two as he picked up his second win of the season. Schubert was dealing in striking out five and going 8.1 innings. He allowed only five hits and one earned run, while also helping himself out at the plate with another double, this one coming in the seventh, with Thomas driving him in on a double of his own.
- The Stars had chances to tie the game late as they scored one in the top of the eighth by way of Matt Segovia's home run to left field. The latter part of the lineup couldn't capitalize as the Stars had runners on second and first but had a two-out fly out to center to end the inning.
- The Stars would load the bases in ninth with one out before Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) came in to grab his fifth save of the season for the Falcons. Plachinski retired the first batter he faced with a fielder's choice, putting runners at first and second with one out. An infield single again loaded the bases for Dominican, but Plachinski struck out the final batter to help CUW complete the sweep.
- Thomas had another stellar game at the plate racking up four hits in four at-bats and also coming away with two RBIs giving him seven RBIs and seven hits for the twinbill. He doubled twice in the second game.
- Freshman Spencer Garnett (Clarendon Hills, Ill.) added two hits, including a triple for the Falcons, while playing a strong game at shortstop as well. Garnett handles short in games which Schubert pitches.
- The Falcons travel to face No. 4 UW-Whitewater Tuesday, April 11th with the first pitch scheduled for 3:00 pm.