MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin and Concordia University Chicago Baseball teams put on a show on Friday night at the 2017 NACC Baseball Tournament in a thrilling game between the final two unbeaten in the tournament. Unfortunately for the Falcons, Concordia Chicago had the last answer, a four-run eighth inning in a 5-4 final. The Falcons will now face MSOE in an elimination game tomorrow at 10 a.m.
- Final Score: CUC 5, CUW 4
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUC 28-11; CUW 27-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After each team scored once in the fourth, the 1-1 score remained until an exciting eighth frame. The Falcons scored three times in the top of the eighth only to be answered by four runs from Concordia Chicago in the bottom half.
- Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) gave CUW a 2-1 lead with a RBI ground rule double to deep center field and Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) made the score 4-1 with a two-RBI single. Thomas and Hilliard played roles in the Falcons first run as Thomas led the fourth off with a single and proceeded to steal second and third base, setting the table for a Hilliard sac fly.
- The Cougars big hit came in the bottom of the eighth when Brent Spohr ripped a two-RBI triple to tie the game at 4-4. The next batter, Mitch Wilson, gave CUC its first lead of the night with a RBI single.
- The Falcons appeared to have taken a 2-0 lead in the second inning when Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie) delivered an apparent base hit down the third base line. The ball was ruled foul on the close call and CUC escaped the second-inning jam.
- Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) delivered an outstanding performance on the mound as he went 6.2 innings, surrendering one earned. Gibbons did not factor into the decision as Andrew Heideman (Bakersfield, Calif.) took the loss for CUW. Brian Musielak got the win for CUC, throwing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- CUW goes to an elimination game against MSOE tomorrow at 10 a.m. The winner will face Concordia Chicago in the championship and would need to beat the Cougars twice to be claimed NACC Tournament Champions.