CUW VICTORY PUTS THEM IN PRIME POSITION FOR POSSIBLE NAC TITLE
LIVE COVERAGE INFORMATION
- Concordia University Wisconsin plays at home for the second consecutive week – the only time it will happen this season. The last time the Falcons won back-to-back home games was in 2010 when they defeated Rockford College (23-0 on Oct. 2) and Maranatha Baptist Bible College (35-0 on Oct. 9).
- CUW and CUC have had some impressive battles during the last four meets, but the Cougars own a 3-1 advantage.The Falcons' victory was a 46-13 triumph on Nov. 1, 2008.
- CUW was selected to finish fifth in the Northern Athletics Conference, while CUC received one first-place vote and was chosen to finish in second place.
LAST WEEK AT A GLANCE: DAMASCHKE HAS CAREER PERFORMANCE
- CUW never trailed in the contest against Maranatha Baptist Bible College and scored four touchdowns in the third quarter to put the game out of reach and win 55-8.
- Sophomore gunslinger Austin Damaschke (Bristol, Wis.) had career bests in yards (312) and passing touchdowns (4). He finished the game 19-of-24 and found four different receivers in the end zone. The 6-foot-2 righty also rushed for 15 yards and a TD.
- Sophomore wide receiver Dylan Krivoshein (Cedarburg, Wis.) hauled in a career-high 104 yards on five receptions, including a long of 32 yards.
- Sophomore kicker David Gonzalez (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) was a perfect 7-for-7 on extra point attempts.
- Freshman Shannon Smith (Brandon, Fla.) made a spectacular one-hand leaping interception and returned it 69 yards for a touchdown. Both were career firsts for the defensive back.
- Senior linebacker Matt Upson (New Berlin, Wis.) led the team again in tackles. He recorded four solo and five assisted, while also making 1.5 tackles for loss.
LAST WEEK AT A GLANCE: CRUSADERS
- The Crusaders' high-powered offense struggled until the fourth quarter when they scored twice to take a 21-9 conference victory over Wisconsin Lutheran College.
- CUC's 322 yards of total offense and 21 points were the lowest of the season. It also held the ball for just 21:00 of the game.
- The Cougars aerial attack wasn't working, but they piled on 194 yards on the ground behind Sherman Jones' 104 rushing yards on 11 carries. Andrew Maddox added 69 yards on nine touches and scored the team's lone rushing touchdown.
- WLC ran 20 more plays than CUC, which related to the Cougars having three players with double-digit tackles. Andrew Gleason led all players with 15 tackles. Sam Key and Marty Beckman each ended the win with 11 tackles apiece.
LOOKING AHEAD: CHEESE BOWL AT STAKE
- The 21st Annual Cheese Bowl trophy will be up for grabs in Sheboygan, Wis., at 1 p.m. against Lakeland College next Saturday, Oct. 20.
- Overall, CUW has won 12 of the 20 matchups, including last year's 28-23 victory in Mequon, Wis., to end the regular season.
SAVE THE DATE
- Saturday, Oct. 27 (1 p.m.) – Family members are welcomed to watch the football team and enjoy a weekend filled with festivities during CUW's annual Family Weekend.
- Saturday, Nov. 10 (12 p.m.) – CUW hosts Wisconsin Lutheran College during the regular season finale with the Luther Cup up for grabs.
- As per team tradition since Greg Etter arrived, the Falcons select senior captains for the season. The 2012 senior captains are:
defensive lineman Matt Lechler (New Holstein, Wis.)
quarterback Patrick Czerwiec (Norridge, Ill.)
offensive lineman Dan Peterson (Burlington, Wis.)
linebacker Matt Upson (New Berlin, Wis.)
wide receiver Erik West (Plymouth)