MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin had a difficult time stopping Lance Moise, who rushed for 282 yards and three touchdowns to help Concordia Chicago earn a 48-38 NACC victory on Saturday afternoon at Tomasini Stadium.
Final Score: Concordia Chicago 48, Concordia Wisconsin 38
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Chicago , Concordia Wisconsin 2-5, 0-4 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Chicago pulled away in the league contest with a bruising rushing attack, sprinkled with deep passes - some for touchdowns - in a game that was closer on the scoreboard than on the field of play. The Cougars piled up 578 total offensive yards and seven touchdowns, to go along with six sacks. The visitors scored seven times on their first nine possessions, including five-straight scoring drives in the second and third quarters.
- The Falcons stayed close in the opening quarter, trailing 14-10, but the Cougars tacked on 13 points in the second period and added 21 more in the third frame to lead 48-24. Concordia Wisconsin added a pair of scores in the final 15 minutes of play, but the deficit was too much to overcome.
- The hosts did accumulate 421 total offensive yards, including 178 on the ground. Freshman Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) had a season-high 117 rushing yards and a 22-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. He also had 26 receiving yards and 68 kick returns yards for a 211 all-purpose yard game.
- Sophomore Aaron Nixon (North Prairie, Wis.) finished the game 22-of-38 for 243 yards and three touchdowns but was sacked six times (four times in the second half). The go-to receiver was junior Kevin Folker (Milwaukee, Wis.) who had eight receptions for 51 yards and a touchdown. Senior Danté Edwards (Glendale, Ariz.) also hauled in receiving touchdown during a four-catch, 68-yard performance.
- Sophomore Jacob Mason (Hartford, Wis.) punted five times and averaged 41.2 yards per kick. He boomed a 62-yarder and twice pinned the Cougars inside the 20-yard line.
- Junior Damon Mull (Hampshire, Ill.) had a career-high seven tackles, to go along with a pass breakup. Senior De'Shawn Pullen (Milwaukee, Wis.) recorded a sack and recovered a fumble that he returned 34 yards.
- Senior Malcolm Bowers (Germantown, Wis.) picked up a loose fumble a returned it for a 37-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to give the Falcons some hope.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin held a slim 25-23 lead in first downs.
- The Falcons recovered an on-side kick that surprised the Cougars after scoring a defensive touchdown in the fourth quarter to get within 48-31.
- The last time the Falcons lost five games in a row was to end the 2010 season. They have also given up 601 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns in the last two weeks.
- Moise, a freshman running back, ran for 282 yards on 27 carries (10.4 average) and scored three touchdowns.
- Rob Granquist threw for 306 yards and four touchdowns on 21-of-32 passing. Ryan Allison hauled in 10 passes for 139 receiving yards and a score.
- Rashad Lofton caught three touchdown passes and ended the game with seven receptions and a game-high 144 receiving yards.
- A.J. Seidler had a game-best 14 tackles (six solo) and 2.5 sacks, while Kareem Dabney made 12 tackles (11 solo) and broke up two passes. Rodolfo Payan had 1.5 sacks and Adelouwa Olaniyan and Riley Dennis each recorded a sack, respectively.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Aurora for a 1 pm NACC match next Saturday. The Spartans lead the conference with a 3-0 record.