AURORA, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin twice had possessions late in the fourth quarter with a chance to upset NACC-leading Aurora, but the result wasn't favorable in a 20-19 loss at Vago Field on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: Aurora 20, Concordia Wisconsin 19
Location: Vago Field (Aurora, Ill.)
Records: Aurora 5-3, 4-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 2-6, 0-5 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aurora put together a healthy 14-play, 98-yard scoring drive to go ahead 20-19 with half of the fourth quarter remaining. The Spartans drive covered seven minutes and 59 seconds, but they failed to score on a 2-point conversion pass attempt.
- The next two possessions in the game resulted in a punt, giving Concordia Wisconsin the ball back with 2:29 left on the clock and 70 yards to find a way to score at minimum a field goal. However, the Falcons final possession in the game last just four plays and went five yards.
- Early in the contest Concordia Wisconsin left two points off the scoreboard because of missed PAT attempts on its first two touchdowns. They answered an Aurora 3-yard rushing touchdown with an Aaron Nixon to Danté Edwards 40-yard pass and catch touchdown.
- Senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) intercepted a pass two plays later to give the Falcons great field position (35-yard line). Just five plays later Nixon (junior, North Prairie, Wis.) found pay dirt from five yards out to put the visitors in front 12-7.
- Freshman Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) gave Concordia Wisconsin a comfortable, but early, 19-7 lead after rushing for a score from the 2-yard line. Sophomore Jacob Mason (Hartford, Wis.) made the PAT.
- The Spartans Connor Olson cut the hosts deficit to 19-14 after running into the end zone from four yards with three minutes to play before halftime.
- Brandon Lucas hauled in a 37-yard game-winning grab from Geron Rogers to give the Spartans the win and stay undefeated in NACC play.
- Tenette led the Falcons with 60 rushing yards on 15 carries (4.0 average), to go along with a rushing touchdown.
- Nixon completed 22-of-30 passes for 292 yards and a score. He also rushed for 48 yards and a touchdown.
- Edwards (senior, Glendale, Ariz.) hauled in five passes for 82 yards and a touchdown. Junior Kevin Folker (Milwaukee, Wis.) also had three receptions for 61 yards.
- Mason punted four times for 193 yards (48.2 average) and twice pinned the Spartans inside the 20-yard line.
- Junior Richie Guess (Home Glen, Ill.) and senior Michael Ledesma (Glendale, Ariz.) each had a team-high seven tackles, while Ledesma recorded 3.0 tackles for loss. Senior De'Shawn Pullen (Milwaukee, Wis.) forced a fumble.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Aurora rushed for 236 yards on 50 attempts (4.7 average) and is the third-straight opponent to run for over 200 yards against Concordia Wisconsin.
- Noah Allgood, Cody Lane and Olson rushed for 92, 79 and 71 yards on the ground to lead the 236-yard rushing attack by the Spartans.
- Rogers was 8-of-14 for 120 yards and a touchdown, while Olson hauled in six passes.
- Lucas had one reception for 37 yards, which was a touchdown grab.
- Brendan Fulton led the Aurora defensive efforts with eight tackles (seven solo).
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Rockford next Saturday (November 5) at 1 pm at Tomasini Stadium in a Homecoming matchup.