MEQUON, Wis. – Aurora scored the game's first 22 points and piled on 349 rushing yards en route to a 36-14 victory over Concordia Wisconsin in a NACC matchup at Tomasini Stadium.
Final Score: Aurora 36, Concordia Wisconsin 14
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Aurora 5-4, 4-1 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 2-7, 1-5 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aurora scored touchdowns on three of its first five possessions and added a field goal early in the third quarter to build a 22-0 lead, and three of those scores came in the red zone.
- Concordia Wisconsin did score once in the third and fourth quarters, but the Spartans tacked on 14 more points in the final period. The difference in the game was the ground attack by the visitors, who averaged 7.0 yards per carry and had runs of 20 or more yards six times.
- Freshman Jordan Edwards (Mount Prospect, Ill.) ran 104 yards on 22 carries and scored a touchdown, freshman Dalton Poole (Kewaskum, Wis.) threw for 206 yards on 20-of-35 passing and touchdown.
- Juniors Josh Sanders (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Ryan Wagner (Mukwonago, Wis.) hauled in five catches each, while Sanders found the end zone on a reception.
- Junior Jacob Mason (Slinger, Wis.) punted eight times for an average of 40.4 per attempt and pinned Aurora inside the 20-yard line once in difficult windy conditions.
- Freshman Justin Dunlap (Henderson, Nev.) had a career game with 18 tackles (11) solo, while senior Albert Goerlitz (Withee, Wis.) had 11 tackles (six solo). Freshman Fred Steinmetz (Kenosha, Wis.) intercepted a pass late in the third quarter, which was the first of his career.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Edwards has rushed for back-to-back 100 yards and scored a touchdown in each of those contests.
- The defense continued its streak of causing a turnover in every game this season and now has 23 takeaways.
- Connor Olson rushed for a game-high 171 yards on 17 carries (10.1 average), while Tyran Bailey had 148 yards on 22 carries (6.7 average) and both rushers scored a touchdown.
- Gavin Zimbelman tossed three touchdowns all to Sean Mullen.
- Cody Patchett had 11 tackles, while Max Basler forced a fumble and Alex Blair recovered a fumble.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin concludes the 2017 season with a Senior Day non-conference game against Hope at 12 pm at Tomasini Stadium.