NEW ULM, Minn. – Jake Jurss was in rhythm from long range, draining seven 3-pointers en route to a 27-point night to help Concordia Wisconsin earn an 83-60 season-opening non-conference victory at Martin Luther. The Falcons forced 28 turnovers and scored 33 points off turnovers.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 83, Martin Luther 60
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Martin Luther 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons quickly built a double-digit lead behind Jurss (sophomore, Sheboygan, Wis.) who drained two of his seven triples during the first four minutes of the game. The Falcons grew the lead to 17 points before halftime, while making six 3-pointers and forcing 15 turnovers.
- Concordia Wisconsin continued to pull away in the second half and led by 20-plus points for the majority of play. Their largest advantage topped out at 32 points following a Jurss layup with 9:55 remaining on the clock.
- It was a complete team effort, as 15 players saw action for the visitors and 13 made it into the scoring column. Overall, the Falcons made 12 field goals from deep and forced 28 turnovers.
- Jurss ended the victory with 27 points (7-of-12 on 3-point attempts), six assists and four steals – all career-highs.
- Senior Eric Kittel (Brillion, Wis.) added 15 points (three 3-pointers), four rebounds, four assists and three steals. Sophomore Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) had six points, career-best 13 rebounds and two steals.
- Senior Montrell Hobbs (Milwaukee, Wis.) recorded eight points, five rebounds and three steals in his first game as a Falcon. Freshman Dane Fronek (Wausau, Wis.) swatted two shot attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons stole 19 passes, which is tied for the fifth-most in a game in program history.
- Jurss' seven 3-pointers were two shy of tying the program's game record set by Josh Klug in 1994.
- Sophomore Josh Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) dished out a career-high four assists. Junior Jason Klug (Winona, Minn.) grabbed a career-best four rebounds.
- Concordia Wisconsin scored 18 points off the fast break and 36 points in the paint.
- Luke Rothe led the Knights with 12 points, to go along with seven rebounds, but had six turnovers.
- Richard Eckmann added 10 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Ian Paulsen finished with 10 rebounds and three blocks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Sioux Falls for a Saturday night 8 pm tipoff.