MEQUON, Wis. – The ball left the finger tips and had a beautiful rotation before swishing threw the net from downtown. That is what the fans inside the R. John Buuck Field House saw for 40 minutes on Saturday afternoon, as Concordia Wisconsin drained 16 3-pointers en route to a commanding 103-76 victory over Dominican.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 103, Dominican 76
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-1, 4-0 NACC; Dominican 3-3, 1-1 NACC
QUOTING JAKE JURSS
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin incinerated the nets during the opening half, with 11 3-pointers on just 14 attempts. They shot a mind-blowing 78.6 percent from long range through the first 20 minutes and 68.6 percent (24-of-35) overall to build an overwhelming 63-38 advantage.
- During the first half, four different Falcons struck from long range, with senior Eric Kittel and sophomore Jake Jurss draining five and three 3-pointers, respectively, while junior Josh Erickson had a pair and sophomore Josh Hau also stroked a triple.
- The Falcons scored 63 first half points (33 coming from 3-pointers), but it wasn't all from 22 feet and beyond as they had 26 points in the paint to keep the offense balanced. Concordia Wisconsin had 20 points put on the scoreboard in the first four minutes of the game and built a 15-point cushion before the midway point of the opening half.
- Kittel (Brillion, Wis.) ended the victory with 19 points, seven assists and three rebounds; while Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) tallied 16 points and dished out a pair of assists.
- Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) scored 12 points and had three assists, whereas sophomore Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) recorded 10 points, five rebounds, career-high four assists and two blocks.
- Hau (Slinger, Wis.) scored a career-best 11 points off the bench in 12 minutes of play. Senior Montrell Hobbs (Milwaukee, Wis.) had himself a nice game with season-highs in points (eight), rebounds (seven), assists (five), two blocks and two steals in just 22 minutes of action.
- Concordia Wisconsin held a 44-28 difference in points in the paint and had 38 bench points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons 103 points are tied for the ninth most scored in a game in program history; while their 39 field goals are tied for the 10th most and the 16 3-pointers is tied for the fourth most made. In addition, their 69.6 percent from downtown is the second-best percentage in a game in program history. As well, they dished out 27 assists (tied for the second most in a game).
- It was the 18th time in program history (NCAA era) that Concordia Wisconsin has surpassed the century mark in a game.
- In the three homes games this season the Falcons have knocked down 39 long balls.
- Sophomore Jose Alicea (Seymour, Wis.) scored seven points in the first extended playing of his career (16 minutes).
- Josh Mayberry was the lone player for the Stars in double-figures with 18 on 7-of-17 shooting.
- Derek Steck and Ben Walker each had nine points, while Kevin Mack added eight points.
- Tim Robertson finished with five points, nine rebounds, three assists and two blocks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host Rockford on Tuesday at 7 pm in a NACC matchup.