ROCKFORD, Ill. – It can be stressful until the final seconds, but Concordia Wisconsin is making a habit of coming from behind to earn victories as of late, with a 91-88 win at Rockford in NACC play. The Falcons put together an 8-4 scoring run over the final three minutes to win their third game in a row.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 91, Rockford 88
Location: Seaver Center (Rockford, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-5, 4-3 NACC; Rockford 5-6, 3-3 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jordan Johnson made the most important layup of the game because it gave Concordia Wisconsin the lead for good with 2:52 remaining in the league game. It was a back-and-forth contest, with 10 scoring ties and 17 lead changes, but the final lead change was the most important.
- Following a Trae Blumhorst layup and and-1 free throw to put Rockford in front 84-83, Johnson scored in the paint to give the visitors a lead they wouldn't relinquish. With 15 seconds to play, Josh Hau sealed the game with a layup.
- Neither team was able to take control, with six points being the largest margin on either side. Despite shooting 56.3 percent, Concordia Wisconsin just wasn't able to extend its lead and run away.
- Johnson (freshman, Cedarburg, Wis.) continues to impress during his rookie season, with a team-high 21 points, to go along with seven rebounds. He did turn the ball over five times though in 23 minutes off the bench.
- Junior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) snapped a poor shooting slump with 20 points on 7-of-12, including a career-high-tying six 3-pointers; while also grabbing five rebounds, dishing out three assists and stealing three passes.
- Junior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) ended with 18 points, six rebounds and four assists. Senior Josh Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) recorded 10 points and three assists. Sophomore Dane Fronek (Wausau, Wis.) scored seven points and freshman Matthew Meyers (Blue Mounds, Wis.) had four points and two steals. Sophomore Matt Ulrich (Palatine, Ill.) dished out a career-best five assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin shot over 50 percent for the second game in a row and the fourth time this season. They are 63-of-116 (54.3 percent) in the last two contests.
- The Falcons made 11 3-pointers, which is the third time this season they have sunk double-digit long balls. As well, their bench outscored the Regents 36-8.
- Tony Diemer netted a game-high 23 points, while also grabbing six rebounds and assisting on five field goals. Will Adams had 19 points and six rebounds in 26 minutes of work.
- Blumhorst ended with 16 points, five rebounds, four assists, two steals, a block and five turnovers. Taylor Krocker and Brandon Emerick had 12 and 10 points apiece, respectively.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Daytona Beach, Fla., for a pair of non-conference games against Bates and Oglethorpe on December 20-21.