EAU CLAIRE, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin did something Friday night it has never done in the nine-year history of the program. The Falcons defeated a top 10 team, downing No. 8 UW-Eau Claire Friday night in non-conference action.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, No. 8 UW-Eau Claire 1
- Location: Hobbs Ice Center – Eau Claire, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-3-0, UW-Eau Claire 4-1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW held a lead in all but the first 42 seconds of play as it didn't take long to get on the board Friday night. Freshman Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) lit the lamp for the 1-0 lead on a score assisted by freshman Jon Brumwell (Calgary, Alberta) and senior Buster Hebda (Firestone, Colo.).
- The Falcons second goal came midway through the second period as senior Eli Riddle (Blissfield, Mich.) posted his first goal of the year. Riddle's goal was assisted by sophomore Braden Crone (Metiskow, Alberta) and freshman Stefen Seel (Invermere, British Columbia), both players running their point streaks to four games in the process.
- The Blugolds would get their lone goal with just under two minutes remaining in the second stanza as Patrick Moore tallied a power play goal for the home team. The goal was the only power play score for the Blugolds on six chances Friday as the Falcons penalty kill has been on point early in the season.
- Freshman Andy Munroe (Newmarket, Ontario) was outstanding between the pipes for the Falcons in gaining his third victory in four starts. Munroe tied a career high with 33 saves, including eight in the final period with his team up just a goal. He also had 16 stops in the second stanza.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Blugolds were ranked eighth in the latest USCHO Division III Top 15 Men's Hockey poll, which was released Monday. CUWFalcons.com uses the USCHO poll for game records, however UW-Eau Claire was also ranked in the D3Hockey.com Poll, coming in at sixth in the nation.
- The Falcons were previously 0-3-0 all-time against the Blugolds. Each time the two teams met, UW-Eau Claire was ranked inside the top 10, including a matchup where they were No. 1 in 2013-14.
- The Falcons have now killed off 34-of-37 opponent's power plays this season. The 91.9 percent success rate ranks 13th nationally.
- The Falcons will stay on the road for another non-conference matchup with a WIAC school tomorrow night. CUW will take on UW-Stout with puck drop set for 7:30 p.m.