Stevens Point, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin traveled to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point for a cross conference battle that resulted in a 5-3 Falcons loss. The Pointers were able to score two goals in the third period that propelled them to victory.
Final Score: UW- Stevens Point 5, Concordia Wisconsin 3
Location: Willett Arena (Stevens Point, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 7-3-1, 4-2 NCHA; UW- Stevens Point 8-3-2, 1-0-1 WIAC
HOW IT HAPPENDED
- UWSP was able to strike first with a quick goal from Drew McLean only 4:12 into the first period. The Falcons responded with a great shorthanded goal from junior Adam Fauchoux (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) that tied the game at one goal apiece.
- In a 1-1 game power plays were key as the Pointers converted on a shorthanded Falcons defense and were able to extend the lead to one goal bringing the score to 2-1 in the second period. UWSP scored again just over two minutes later with a second goal from Drew McLean that pushed the lead to 3-1 in favor of the Pointers.
- Down by two scores Concordia Wisconsin was able to rally with two goals within minutes of each other, the first goal came from junior Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) who fired it in the back of the net with 18:12 in the second period and shortly after sophomore Jim Pearson (Ashton, Ontario) was able shoot one past Max Milosek to tie the game and give the momentum back to the Falcons heading into the crucial final period.
- The third period got off to a good start for the Pointers as they were able to score quickly with a goal only 1:38 into the deciding period. UWSP was able to hold on and not allow another Falcons goal, while also netting a final goal on an open net with seconds to play to clinch the victory.
- Fauchoux finished with one goal and one assist, along with Hogg and Pearson who scored one goal each. Sophomore Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia), freshmen Braydon Barker (Red Deer, Alberta) and sophomore Jake Switzer (Swansea, Ill.) all finished with one assist on the night.
- The Falcons will travel to take on UW-Stout next Friday and Saturday starting at 7:00 pm and 4:00 pm.