ANGOLA, Ind. – For the first time in program history, the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team will host a conference tournament series. The Falcons secured the No. 2 seed in the South Division thanks to a 4-3 win over Trine Friday night. CUW held on Friday, jumping out to a 4-0 lead before holding on for the one-goal win.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Trine 3
- Location: Thunder Ice Arena – Angola, Indiana
- Records: CUW 16-6-2, 12-5 NCHA; Trine 6-16-2, 2-13-2 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW wasted no time building an early lead Friday, scoring two goals 2:32 into play. Nick Guiney (Victoria, British Columbia) tallied the first score 1:29 into play, coming off assists by Taylor Gauld and Nick Guerra.
- Just 1:03 later, Brody Decker (Dousman, Wis.) made the score 2-0 in favor of the Falcons. Casey Esselman (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.) and Travis Marit (Assiniboia, Saskatchewan) gained assists on the Decker goal.
- The line of Guiney-Guerra-Gauld produced the next two scores for the Falcons, one coming late in the opening period, and the final one five minutes into the second period. Guerra (Victoria, British Columbia) scored the Falcons third goal with Gauld and Guiney picking up assists. Guiney then tallied his second score of the night, Gauld and Guerra adding assists.
- The rest of the way was a comeback effort by the Thunder, who certainly made the Falcons work for the win Friday. Trine scored 9:11 into the second period, and added two scores in the first 7:07 of the third stanza. Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) and the Falcons defense stood strong the final half of the third, securing the one-goal win.
- Malvin finished the game with 29 saves for his 13th win of the season. Aaron Brickman played the final two periods for Trine and turned in a strong effort with 24 saves on 25 shots faced. Brett Young started the game, allowing three goals in the opening stanza.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW will host Lake Forest in an opening round Harris Cup Playoffs series next weekend. The Falcons and Foresters will play two games (Friday at 8, Saturday at 7) at the Ozaukee Ice Center. If the two teams split the first two games, a mini-game will take place Saturday night after the second contest to determine who advances.
- The Falcons face a tough test to close the regular season tomorrow. CUW is set to face No. 1 Adrian with puck drop set for 3:05 eastern time.
April 25, 2018 Men's Hockey celebrates 2017-18 Season
April 12, 2018 #HumboldtStrong
February 21, 2018 Men's Hockey places 12 on NCHA All-Academic Team
February 17, 2018 Men's Hockey season comes to an end in Harris Cup Quarterfinals
February 15, 2018 Rink Notes: CUW vs. LFC (Ticket Information provided - no free entrance)
February 9, 2018 Men's Hockey holds on against Trine, clinches home playoff series
February 7, 2018 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
February 3, 2018 Men's Hockey rides three goal second period to NCHA victory
February 2, 2018 Men's Hockey gets road victory against MSOE
January 27, 2018 Men's Hockey secures Border Battle Trophy with win over Foresters
January 26, 2018 Men's Hockey blanks Aurora
January 25, 2018 Men's, Women's Hockey ready for Pink the Rink
January 23, 2018 Pilet one of 11 nominations for the Hockey Humanitarian Award
January 20, 2018 Men's Hockey unable to slow down No. 3 Adrian
January 19, 2018 Malvin stops 30, leads Men's Hockey to NCHA win over Trine
January 18, 2018 Rink Notes: Falcons host Thunder, Bulldogs this weekend
January 13, 2018 Strong second period guides Men's Hockey to win at Northland
January 12, 2018 Men's Hockey drops NCHA road tilt at St. Scholastica
January 9, 2018 Hockey programs participate in Be the Match Registry Drive
January 5, 2018 Men's Hockey falls in NCHA battle with Marian
January 4, 2018 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey returns home for two NCHA contests
December 16, 2017 Hahn helps Falcons secure OT tie at UW-Stout
December 15, 2017 USCHO Feature: Hahn, Falcons off to a strong start
December 15, 2017 Guerra's power play goal caps third-period comeback for Men's Hockey
December 8, 2017 Men's Hockey falls to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point
December 2, 2017 Men's Hockey holds on for key NCHA win
December 1, 2017 Aurora deals Men's Hockey first home loss
November 29, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey battles Spartans Friday night
November 25, 2017 Men's Hockey settles for 2-2 tie against Johnnies
November 24, 2017 Men's Hockey silences Bethel, retains Thanksgiving Cup
November 22, 2017 Rink Notes: Falcons welcome MIAC foes for Thanksgiving weekend games
November 14, 2017 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
November 11, 2017 Men's Hockey takes care of Northland to remain perfect at home
November 10, 2017 Adkins, Malvin lead Men's Hockey past St. Scholastica
November 9, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey set for two NCHA home games
November 4, 2017 Romanuik blanks Finlandia for Men's Hockey NCHA road win
November 3, 2017 No. 1 St. Norbert pulls away from Men's Hockey in third period
November 1, 2017 Seel named NCHA Offensive Player of the Week
October 30, 2017 Men's Hockey ranked 15th by D3Hockey.com
October 28, 2017 Seel's four-point effort lifts Men's Hockey over UW-Superior
October 27, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey opens 2017-18 campaign this weekend
October 20, 2017 Men's Hockey tabbed sixth in NCHA Preseason Poll
October 4, 2017 Eight from Men's Hockey honored as AHCA All-American Scholars
June 1, 2017 Men's Hockey adds Jensen as Assistant Coach