ELMHURST, Ill. – It took just 13 seconds for Dan Curley to find the back of the net in overtime to give Elmhurst a 5-4 well-fought victory over Concordia Wisconsin on Wednesday evening.
Final Score: Elmhurst 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4 OT
Location: Langhorst Field (Elmhurst, Ill.)
Records: Elmhurst 3-1, Concordia Wisconsin 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a tale of two halves, as Concordia Wisconsin led 4-1 after two quarters of play before Elmhurst took over in the final 30 minutes of action scoring three goals to send the non-conference game into overtime.
- The Falcons scored less than five minutes after the opening faceoff when senior James Warner (Ham Lake, Minn.) found the back of the net. With 5:43 to play in the opening quarter it was sophomore Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba) who added another goal for the visitors. Sophomore Aidan Connolly (Grayslake, Ill.) struck the net for the third goal in a row with just 57 seconds to play in the period.
- The Bluejays' Matt Westhaver stopped the scoring run with an unassisted marker of his own with nine seconds left on the clock in the first quarter.
- Connolly scored his second marker of the game with three minutes and 54 seconds to play before the intermission, which gave his team a 4-1 halftime advantage.
- Elmhurst's Dan Curley scored the first of his two goals in the game during the third quarter. Matt Westhaver had two-straight goals – one near the end of the third and with six minutes to play in the game.
- Sophomore Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) and freshman Jacob Leitner (Sykesville, Md.) each had five ground balls, while Warner caused a team-high three turnovers. Freshman Ben Gramarossa (Smithtown, N.Y.) won 6-of-12 faceoffs.
- Wohlford took the loss in goal and made 12 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Connolly's two goals were a career-high, as were his 10 shots.
- The loss to the Bluejays snaps a four-game winning streak against the CCIW program.
- The overtime game was just the third in program history and the Falcons had won the previous two.
- Matt Westhaver led all scorers with a hat trick, while Dan Curely had two goals.
- Mac Harden paced the Bluejays defense with six ground balls and Rami Ringling won 7-of-13 faceoffs.
- Nick Bonastia won the game in goal after making 11 saves.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Augustana for a 7 pm Friday non-conference game.