MEQUON, Wis. – Perfection is difficult to obtain, but at times winning with force is just as meaningful and Concordia Wisconsin gave its fans in attendance on Wednesday plenty to cheer about. The Falcons easily defeated MSOE 12-1 during a crucial MLC contest at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 12, MSOE 1
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-4, 4-1 MLC; MSOE 5-6, 3-2 MLC
QUOTING JACK MELBY
HOW IT HAPPENED
- MSOE scored three minutes into the game and for a brief moment the thought was 'this could be a close game'. It wasn't, as Concordia Wisconsin rattled off 12 unanswered goals to easily earn a crucial MLC game and move up the standings.
- The Falcons led 5-1 at halftime and poured it on during the final 30 minutes of play with seven more goals to win by double-digits for the third time this season.
- Gaining possession is always important and sophomore Jack Melby (Eagan, Minn.) helped in that cause by winning 14-of-15 faceoffs and picking up eight ground balls.
- The offense was balanced as it usually is, with a trio of players – this time sophomore Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba), senior Colin Raley (Inverness, Ill.) and sophomore Aidan Connolly (Grayslake, Ill.) – recording hat tricks.
- Defensively, Concordia Wisconsin forced 22 turnovers of which 11 were caused and ended with a 28-17 advantage in ground balls. In addition, the hosts were nearly perfect in moving the ball by converting 23-of-24 clear attempts.
- Connolly also had two assists for a career-high five points. Senior Kellen Asmundson (Inver Grove Heights, Minn.) added a goal and two assists.
- Sophomore Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) made seven saves in a winning effort between the pipes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The victory keeps the Falcons within a half-game of the top spot in the MLC standings.
- Kaminsky's three goals tied a career high with Saturday's game at Monmouth.
- Concordia Wisconsin is now 8-0 all-time against MSOE and has outscored them 132-24.
- Clay Gustafson scored the Raiders only goal, which was assisted on by James Shipp.
- Pat Collins had eight saves in net.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Concordia Chicago on Saturday at 1 pm in a MLC game at Fitting Field.