MILWAUKEE – After an earlier Wednesday result saw Dominican get upset by Concordia Chicago, the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team knew with a win Wednesday night at MSOE they would move to the top of the NACC standings. It took a little longer to get there, as the Falcons needed overtime once again, but senior Luis Loya delivered the game-winner in a thrilling 3-2 victory.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, MSOE 2 (F/OT)
- Location: Viets Field – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 9-3-3, 7-1-0 NACC; MSOE 9-5-0, 5-3-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons have gone to overtime three times in eight NACC matches this season, and have won all three relatively quick into the overtime session. Loya (Bolingbrook, Ill.) struck 3:40 into the extra session on a great individual effort. The senior striker sprinted into the box up the right side and fired his shot into the post for the game-winning effort.
- CUW trailed on a couple different occasions Wednesday but answered each time. The Raiders had the lone goal of the opening half, a 29th-minute score from Brandon Herman. Herman had both scores for MSOE Wednesday evening.
- The Falcons came out strong in the second half, scoring 4:01 after the break to tie the score. It was junior Dagoberto Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.) with the first equalizer on a blast from 30 yards out. Loya assisted on the Diaz score. Unfortunately for the Falcons, Herman and the Raiders scored 17 seconds later to retake the lead.
- Playing in his first match since September 21, freshman Michael Howell (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored his first career collegiate goal to tie the contest at 2-2. Howell was able to put a header in off a corner kick by Diaz in the 58th minute.
- The Falcons dominated possession on Wednesday, outshooting the Raiders, 22-8. Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) finished the contest with one save to record his ninth victory of the season. Riley Bruce stopped six shots for the Raiders.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons entered the day tied with Dominican atop the NACC standings but the Stars were upset by Concordia Chicago (1-0) earlier in the day. CUW now controls its own destiny for its second NACC regular season title in three years with two league matches remaining. The Falcons will play Concordia Chicago and Rockford in their final two NACC contests.
- CUW probably doesn't mind seeing its NACC matches go to overtime this season. The Falcons are 3-0-0 in NACC overtime affairs with wins over Benedictine, Wisconsin Lutheran, and MSOE. Wednesday's match was the longest it took for the Falcons to find an overtime winner as they scored 25 seconds into overtime against Benedictine and 1:33 into the extra session at Wisconsin Lutheran.
- CUW will visit Concordia Chicago Sunday for a NACC matchup. The Falcons and Cougars are set for a 2 p.m. start.
October 31, 2017 Men's Soccer falls in NACC Semifinals
October 30, 2017 Pitch Pass: Men's Soccer hosts MSOE in NACC Tournament Semifinals
October 25, 2017 Men's Soccer captures NACC regular season title!
October 24, 2017 Diaz scores NACC Men's Soccer Weekly Award
October 24, 2017 Pitch Pass: Men's Soccer aims for outright NACC Title
October 22, 2017 Men's Soccer clinches at least share of NACC title with road win
October 14, 2017 Men's Soccer posts Senior Day shutout win over Finlandia
October 13, 2017 Pitch Pass: Senior Day highlights Men's Soccer match with Finlandia
October 11, 2017 Men's Soccer erupts for 12 goals in dominant NACC win
October 10, 2017 Pitch Pass: Falcons set to face Lakeland in Wednesday home tilt
October 7, 2017 Men's Soccer suffers first NACC loss
October 4, 2017 Men's Soccer storms back for improbable OT win
September 30, 2017 Diaz's late goal propels men's soccer to road NACC win
September 27, 2017 Men's Soccer posts third-straight NACC win
September 26, 2017 Pitch Pass: Men's Soccer welcomes Edgewood to Fitting Field
September 23, 2017 Tyrpak's overtime goal gives Men's Soccer win over Benedictine
September 22, 2017 Pitch Pass: Falcons host Eagles in NACC soccer doubleheader
September 21, 2017 Men's Soccer finds scoring touch in NACC win at Marian
September 20, 2017 Men's Soccer at Marian postponed to Thursday
September 16, 2017 Men's Soccer battles UW-Whitewater to 1-1 draw
September 15, 2017 Pitch Pass: Men's Soccer hosts UW-Whitewater Saturday
September 13, 2017 Men's Soccer drops non-conference match at Carroll
September 9, 2017 Men's Soccer shut out against Lake Forest
September 8, 2017 Press Pass: Lake Forest visits Men's Soccer Saturday
September 6, 2017 Men's Soccer plays to 1-1 draw with Elmhurst
September 5, 2017 Press Pass: Men's Soccer hosts Elmhurst in home opener
September 2, 2017 Men's Soccer settles for 1-1 draw with Concordia Nebraska
September 1, 2017 Men's Soccer shuts out Concordia Ann Arbor in season-opener
August 23, 2017 Men's Soccer tabbed third in NACC Preseason Poll
August 21, 2017 Camp Confidential Notebook: Men's Soccer Preview