GLENDALE, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin earned its first win of the season on Friday evening with a 7-2 non-conference men's tennis victory over the University of Dubuque at the Paley Tennis Center.
The Falcons won 2-of-3 double matches to take an early lead and continued their strong play by winning 5-of-6 singles matches. The win snaps a four-match losing streak for CUW (1-4) and gives UD (3-8) its third-consecutive loss.
The No. 1 double team of junior Skip Turner (Eau Claire, Wis.) and senior Taylor Shaffer (Stoughton, Wis.) cruised to an 8-1 win to get the momentum started. Sophomore Steven Fritz (Berwyn, Ill.) and junior Tanner Hahn (Reedsburg, Wis.) also won 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles competition, junior Russell Johnson (Monticello, Wis.) controlled his opponent with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles. Antoine Leon and freshman Terry Jones (Maywood, Ill.) were also in control with a 6-4, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively.
The Falcons return to the court on Friday, March 15 for their final non-conference match against Adrian College before they travel to Hilton Head, S.C. for their spring break trip.
03/08/13 at Glendale, Wis. (Paley Tennis Center)
1. Johnson, Russell (CUW) def. Johnson, Demetrius (UD) 6-3, 6-1
2. Gospodinov, Nikolay (UD) def. Turner, Skip (CUW) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (7-4)
3. Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) def. Deering, Dishon (UD) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Braden, Michael (UD) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jones, Terry (CUW) def. Iben, Shawn (UD) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hahn, Tanner (CUW) def. Calahan, Trevor (UD) 6-0, 4-1, retired
1. Turner, Skip/Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) def. Johnson, Demetrius/Iben, Shawn (UD) 8-1
2. Johnson, Russell/Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Deering, Dishon/Calahan, Trevor (UD) 8-4
3. Gospodinov, Nikolay/Braden, Michael (UD) def. Fritz, Steven/Hahn, Tanner (CUW) 8-4
Concordia Wisconsin 1-4