MIDDLETON, Wis. – It was a long day for Concordia University Wisconsin before extendeding its Northern Athletics Conference winning streak to 23-consecutive with a 9-0 win at Marian University and an 8-1 victory at Edgewood College on Saturday.
The Falcons began the day with a 9 a.m. match in Fond du Lac, Wis., at Center Court Tennis Club against MU (0-7, 0-5 NAC). CUW won five singles matches in straight sets, which included Antoine Leon (Essone, France) and junior Ryan Buffamonte (Kenosha, Wis.) winning 6-0, 6-0, respectively.
In doubles play Leon and sophomore Steven Fritz (Berwyn, Ill.) blanked their No. 2 doubles opponents by an 8-0 score for CUW (8-8, 5-0 NAC).
The Falcons then made the trek to Madison, Wis., and Hitters SportsPlex for a 7 p.m. match against NAC foe EC (4-18, 3-2 NAC). CUW swept all six singles matches and captured two doubles matches for the win.
Leon and freshman Terry Jones (Maywood, Ill.) controlled their opponents at No. 4 and No. 6 singles with a 6-0, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-0 win, respectively. Doubles play with a bit more difficult as CUW won No. 2 and No. 3 doubles by an 8-5 and 8-4 score.
The Falcons return to action on Friday for the Concordia Invitational Tennis Tournament in St. Louis, Mo. They will compete against Concordia University Nebraska, Concordia University Greenville and Concordia Seminary (St. Louis).
04/13/13 at Fond du Lac, Wis. (Center Court Tennis Club)
1. Johnson, Russell (CUW) def. Solvik, Elan (MU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) def. Bales, Andrew (MU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Maetzold, Sam (MU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Hahn, Tanner (CUW) def. Heup, Josh (MU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Buffamonte, Ryan (CUW) def. Baker, Josh (MU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Fritz, Steven (CUW) def. No player (MU), by default
1. Hahn, Tanner/Wells, Garrett (CUW) def. Bales, Andrew/Solvik, Elan (MU) 8-4
2. Fritz, Steven/Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Heup, Josh/Maetzold, Sam (MU) 8-0
3. Johnson, Russell/Buffamonte, Ryan (CUW) def. No player/No player (MU), by default
04/13/13 at Middleton, Wis. (Hitters SportsPlex)
1. Johnson, Russell (CUW) def. Lagman, Patrick (EC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Turner, Skip (CUW) def. Gavinski, Eric (EC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) def. Morgan, Tim (EC) 6-0, 7-5
4. Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Wanta, Michael (EC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Hahn, Tanner (CUW) def. Pratscher, Ben (EC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jones, Terry (CUW) def. Janusek, Michael (EC) 6-3, 6-0
1. Lagman, Patrick/Gavinski, Eric (EC) def. Turner, Skip/Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) 9-7
2. Johnson, Russell/Jones, Terry (CUW) def. Morgan, Tim/Wanta, Michael (EC) 8-5
3. Leon, Antoine/Wells, Garrett (CUW) def. Janusek, Michael/Pratscher, Ben (EC) 8-4