WHITEWATER, Wis. – Playing in the NCAA Tournament for the third straight season, the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team dropped its opening round match against Ohio Northern University Friday at the Wangerin Courts, hosted by UW-Whitewater.
The Falcons fell in all three doubles matches to begin play, all by scores of 8-4 or closer. The closest came at No. 1 doubles where senior Taylor Shaffer (Stoughton, Wis.) and junior Skip Turner (Eau Claire, Wis.) fell in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-4).
In singles play junior Russell Johnson (Monticello, Minn.) was on his way to becoming the first player in NAC history to win in the NCAA Tournament as he won his first set 6-3 and was leading the second set 3-2. Unfortunately for Johnson, ONU picked up two wins in singles play before that could happen, leaving his match unfinished and ending the opening round contest 5-0 in favor of Ohio Northern.
CUW concludes its season with a 16-10 record. The Falcons went 9-0 in the NAC in the regular season and also won the team tournament for the third straight year.
Ohio Northern 5, Concordia Wisconsin 0
May 10, 2013 at Whitewater, Wis. (Wangerin Courts)
1. Johnson, Russell (CUW) vs. Joey Frank (ONU) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
2. Turner, Skip (CUW) vs. Do Thai (ONU) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
3. Shaffer, Taylor (CUW) vs. Josh Saunders (ONU) 4-6, 0-1, unfinished
4. John Mostowy (ONU) def. Leon, Antoine (CUW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Blake Troller (ONU) def. Hahn, Tanner (CUW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jones, Terry (CUW) vs. Mike King (ONU) 2-6, 0-5, unfinished
1. Do Thai/Joey Frank (ONU) def. Shaffer, Taylor/Turner, Skip (CUW) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Josh Saunders/John Mostowy (ONU) def. Johnson, Russell/Jones, Terry (CUW) 8-4
3. Blake Troller/Sam Prewitt (ONU) def. Leon, Antoine/Wells, Garrett (CUW) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (,5,4)