MEQUON, Wis. – The day started off strong for the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team with a 9-0 win over Marian University. Unfortunately, it would not finish the same way as the Falcons dropped a battle of NACC unbeatens, falling to Edgewood College, 5-4.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Marian 0; Edgewood 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4
- Location: CUW Tennis Courts – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 15-7, 6-1 NACC; Marian 3-8, 2-4 NACC; Edgewood 11-10, 6-0 NACC
MARIAN MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons were dominant against the Sabres, sweeping doubles play before taking all six singles matches in straight sets. Sophomore Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) and senior Robert Spiering (Wauwatosa, Wis.) won singles matches by identical 6-0, 6-0 scores at the No. 4 and 6 positions, respectively.
- Sophomore Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles, while senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) netted a 6-1, 6-2 decision in the No. 1 doubles spot. Junior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) won his No. 5 singles match with the same score as Nommensen.
- The final singles win for CUW came from freshman Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) at the No. 2 position. He posted a 6-3, 6-3 victory for the Falcons. Docter also paired with Schaffner at No. 2 doubles for an 8-3 win.
- Nommensen and Guendel rolled to an 8-1 win in the No. 1 doubles spot, while Budewitz and freshman Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) cruised to an 8-2 win in the No. 3 doubles match.
EDGEWOOD MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons opened play against Edgewood with wins in two of three doubles matches. Nommensen and Guendel continued their dominance, improving to 7-0 in NACC doubles matches, with an 8-1 win.
- Docter and Schaffner followed suit with an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles, improving their conference record to 6-1.
- The Falcons gained just two wins in singles play, as Edgewood gained the upper hand in four. The clinching match for the Eagles came at No. 3 singles, giving Edgewood a 5-3 lead at the time. Spiering won the final result of the day, posting a 1-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6 singles, improving to 6-0 in NACC play this season.
- The other win for the Falcons was by Budewitz at No. 5 singles. He posted a 7-5, 6-2 victory as he is unbeaten at 7-0 in NACC singles play.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win all but assures Edgewood the regular season NACC title. Edgewood is 6-0 with two matches remaining and would have to lose one to share with the Falcons and both to allow CUW an outright title. CUW can do no worse than a No. 2 seed in the NACC tournament and has only winless Lakeland left in conference play.
- The Falcons will play a pair of matches next Saturday. CUW will visit Lakeland for a 10 a.m. start in the NACC finale, while hosting UW-Oshkosh in a non-conference match at 2:30 p.m.