JACKSON, Wis. – A strong start with a sweep in doubles matches proved to be the difference for the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team in a win over North Central Friday evening. The Falcons split six singles matches after the 3-0 record in doubles play for a 6-3 win.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, North Central 3
- Location: Pleasant Valley Tennis Center – Jackson, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-3; North Central 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons started the night with three wins in doubles play, including a thriller at the No. 1 battle. The duo of James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and Brad Guendel held off the Cardinals with a 9-8 (9-7) victory.
- The other two doubles wins came by scores of 8-4 and 8-3, respectively. The No. 2 duo of Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and Christian Docter won 8-4 at the No. 2 spot, while the No. 3 team of Gabe Binversie and Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) gained an 8-3 victory.
- Singles play featured several thrilling matchups as five of the six went to a third set tiebreaker. The only non-third set match was won by Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) at the No. 4 position, where he posted a 6-0, 6-2 win.
- Docter (Madison, Wis.) also picked up a win in singles play, winning a great matchup which needed a tiebreaker in each of the first two sets. He held on for a 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-7) victory.
- The final win in singles play for the Falcons was by Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) at the No. 5 matchup. He rolled in the first set 6-0 before falling 1-6 in set number two. Binversie would win the third set tiebreaker by a score of 10-8.
- North Central picked up third-set tiebreaker wins at the No. 1, 2, and 6 singles matchups.
- The Falcons will play two more home non-conference matches tomorrow. CUW will host Lake Superior St. at 2 p.m. before battling St. Norbert at 6 p.m.