HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team used an edge in doubles play to defeat Ramapo, 5-4, to open its 2017 spring trip on a winning note. The Falcons were scheduled to play two matches on Monday, but the second was postponed due to rain. CUW and Lynchburg are looking into trying to reschedule the match this week.
- Final Score: CUW 5, Ramapo 4
- Location: Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Records: CUW 6-4; Ramapo 2-3
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 5, RAMAPO 4
- The Falcons started the day with a narrow win over Ramapo thanks to strong doubles play. CUW opened with a sweep in three doubles matches, building a 3-0 lead. They would win two singles matches to secure a 1-0 start in South Carolina.
- The No. 2 duo of junior Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and sophomore Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) was dominant en route to an 8-1 victory. The Falcons also controlled the No. 1 and 3 doubles matches, as the top team of juniors James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and junior Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) gained an 8-4 win. The No. 3 duo of freshman Gabe Binversie and senior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) also posted an 8-4 victory.
- In singles play it was Ramapo who won four of six matches, but the Falcons got the two wins they needed to secure the non-conference win. Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 5 singles to lead the way.
- Adding a win in singles play was Schaffner at the No. 3 position. Schaffner netted his win in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.
- The Falcons are off tomorrow but are set for two matches on Wednesday. CUW will face Greenville and Shepherd, the first of those scheduled for an 11 a.m. (eastern) start.