HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team split a pair of matches in South Carolina Wednesday on its spring trip. The Falcons opened the day with a 6-3 win over Greenville before falling to Shepherd by a 5-4 score.
- Final Scores: CUW 6, Greenville 3; Shepherd 5, CUW 4
- Location: Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Records: CUW 7-5; Greenville 4-3; Shepherd 5-4
CUW 6, GREENVILLE 3
- The Falcons picked up wins in two of three doubles matches and four of six in singles play for the 6-3 win to start the day.
- In doubles play, the No. 3 team of Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) and Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) were dominant in netting an 8-1 victory. The No. 2 duo of Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) and Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) also gained a victory, winning 8-3.
- CUW would go on to win four singles matches, winning from the No. 3-6 positions on the roster. Binversie again had little trouble in his matchup, winning at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-0. Nathan Raskin (Shorewood, Wis.) gained a 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles as well for the Falcons.
- The Falcons also got wins at No. 3 and 4 singles, including a straight sets match by Schaffner at the No. 3 spot. He netted a 6-2, 6-4 win. Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) also posted a win, needing a third-set tiebreak to do so (6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)).
SHEPHERD 5, CUW 4
- The Falcons were in a close one in the second match of the day but narrowly fell against Shepherd. CUW won just one in doubles play and split the singles matches.
- Raskin again won at No. 6 singles, netting a 7-5, 6-2 decision. Binversie moved up one spot in the lineup to No. 4 singles gained another victory, 6-4, 6-3. Schaffner also won at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 6-3.
- In doubles play, CUW posted a win at No. 3 doubles with Binversie and Budewitz. The duo won 8-4 for a 2-0 day.
- The Falcons will take on Lynchburg in a rescheduled match tomorrow morning. The two teams were supposed to play Monday, but rain has forced the match to Thursday morning at 9 a.m. (eastern).