GRIFFITH, Ind. – A sweep in doubles play, along with a 3-3 split in singles play, allowed the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team to win its third straight match Friday afternoon. The Falcons traveled to Indiana to take on Purdue Northwest and gained the 6-3 non-conference win.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Purdue Northwest 3
- Location: Match Point Tennis and Fitness Club – Griffith, Indiana
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-5; Purdue Northwest 8-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In their team wins this season, the doubles teams for the Falcons have played particularly well. Friday was no exception as CUW posted a 3-0 record in doubles play.
- The No. 1 duo of juniors James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) gained an 8-4 win to pace the doubles team. The No. 3 pairing of freshman Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) and sophomore Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) had little trouble in their 8-2 victory.
- The No. 2 doubles match was a thriller as the pairing of junior Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and sophomore Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) edged Purdue Northwest. Schaffner and Docter gained a 9-8 (7-3) win.
- In singles play, the Falcons picked up wins at the No. 2, 5, and 6 positions. Docter finished his strong day with a win in No. 2 singles, 7-5, 7-6 (10-8).
- Guendel also finished the day unbeaten as he won a close on at No. 5 singles. After falling 4-6 in the first set, he came back in set two with a 6-1 win. Guendel would go on to win an exciting tiebreaker, 15-13, for the match-clinching win.
- Freshman Nathan Raskin (Shorewood, Wis.) got the Falcons their first singles match win, posting a 6-1, 6-2 score in the No. 6 matchup.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- In their team 10 wins this season, the Falcons doubles pairings have posted a record of 24-6. They have won at least two out of three doubles matches in all 10 victories.
- CUW will return to action for a pair of matches tomorrow. The Falcons will battle Concordia Ann Arbor at 9 a.m. (eastern). CUW will then take on Prairie State in an exhibition match later in the day.