MADISON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team is back on top of the NACC. The Falcons won two matches by 5-0 scores Sunday at the NACC Tennis Tournament to clinch their first tournament title since the 2013 season. CUW started the day with a win over Aurora and then defeated MSOE in the final to clinch the NACC's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament.
- Final Scores: CUW 5, Aurora 0; CUW 5, MSOE 0
- Location: Nielsen Tennis Stadium - Madison, Wis.
- Records: CUW 20-6; MSOE 9-17; Aurora 8-7
CUW 5, MSOE 0
- The Falcons doubles teams performed at a high level all season and continued the trend in the finals. CUW swept the three doubles matches, beginning with an 8-1 win by Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) and Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) at the No. 3 matchup.
- Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) added an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles to put the Falcons up 2-0. The third doubles match was a thriller and James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) held on for a 9-7 victory.
- In singles play Guendel made quick work of his No. 5 singles opponent, moving the Falcons to a point away from clinching with a 6-2, 6-0 win.
- With the trip to the NCAAs on the line, it was Docter who delivered the win, finishing off a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles. The match stops once one team reaches five points. The Falcons held lead in the No. 6 singles match with Nathan Raskin and Schaffner also led at No. 2 singles as well.
CUW 5, AURORA 0
- The Falcons started the day with a 5-0 win over Aurora. The doubles pairings again showed why all three were All-NACC selections with a sweep in three matches. Forster and Guendel were the first in with an 8-0 win.
- Binversie and Budewitz picked up an 8-3 win in doubles play while Schaffner and Docter rounded out the sweep with an 8-4 win.
- In singles play the Falcons gained wins at the No. 1 and 6 positions to secure the 5-0 victory. Forster was the first to net a singles win, rolling 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot. Raskin (Shorewood, Wis.) added a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
- Schaffner won his first set at No. 2 singles (6-4) and led 1-0 as his match was halted along with three others. Guendel also gained a 6-4 win in his first set at the No. 5 position.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The tournament title is the fourth for CUW since the NACC went to the current format in the 2011 season. The Falcons won in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
- The Falcons also set a program record for wins in a season Sunday. CUW has won 20 matches this season, breaking the previous record of 18 (2016).
- CUW will find out where it will head for the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament tomorrow.