MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team used the long ball in an 11-0 win over Division II Lake Superior State, helping salvage a split Saturday at the Finlandia Dome Tournament. The Falcons opened the day by falling against No. 25 UW-Oshkosh, 2-0. The games were the first two of the season for CUW.
- Final Score: No. 25 UW-Oshkosh 2, Concordia Wisconsin 0; Concordia Wisconsin 11, Lake Superior St. 0 (F/5 Innings)
- Location: Superior Dome – Marquette, Mich.
- Records: CUW 1-1; UW-Oshkosh 2-1; Lake Superior St. 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons erupted for five runs in the top of the first in the win over the Lakers. Sophomore Christine Sharon (Gladstone, Mich.) led the game off with a home run and sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) added a three-run home run in the frame.
- Sophomore Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) tossed a complete game shutout, limiting the Lakers to five hits. She struck out six while facing 20 hitters over the fiving innings.
- Sharon was one of four Falcons to record two hits in the game two win. Sophomore Andrea Thiry (Green Bay, Wis.) and freshmen Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) and Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) all added two hits as well. Rosenow, O'Keefe and Sobrilsky all scored twice, while Reiser and Sharon paced the team with three RBI. Zazas and O'Keefe each drove in a pair of runs for the Falcons.
- CUW scored in four of five innings in the win, registering five in the first, three in the third, one in the fourth and two more in the fifth.
- The opener saw the Falcons limited by the Titans Sara Brunlieb. Brunlieb was on point, striking out 10, while limiting CUW to two hits in a complete game shutout.
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) pitched well for the Falcons, allowing just two earned over five innings. She struck out one and gave up five hits. Freshman Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) came on for the sixth inning, allowing one hit in a scoreless frame.
- Sobrilsky had the only two hits of the opener for the Falcons.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The shutout was the second of Brekke's career. Her first came last season against Edgewood, a 6-0 win for the Falcons on April 4, 2015.
- The last time CUW hit four home runs in a game was last season in a win over Concordia Chicago on April 19.
- The Falcons will play two more games inside the Dome tomorrow. CUW will take on Simpson at 8 a.m. before battling UW-Superior at 10 a.m. Both game times are eastern time zone.