CLERMONT, Fla. – Senior Melissa Perkins and sophomore Emily Brekke tossed shutouts as the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team opened its Florida trip with a pair of wins Saturday. Perkins started the day by shutting out Plattsburgh St., 2-0, while Brekke finished it by blanking Emerson, 3-0.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Plattsburg St. 0; CUW 3, Emerson 0
- Location: Hancock Park – Clermont, Fla.
- Records: CUW 3-3; Plattsburgh St. 0-2; Emerson 3-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) started the day with a two-hit gem, striking out four. She faced 28 batters in picking up her first win of the season.
- CUW gave Perkins all the run support she needed in the first inning, plating a pair of unearned runs. Freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) had the clutch hit of the inning, delivering a two-out, two-RBI single. Her hit plated freshmen Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) and Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.).
- That was all the offense that Perkins needed as the Falcons held on for the 2-0 win. Perkins counterpart, Morgan Anderson, pitched well in defeat, yielding no earned runs in a complete game effort. Anderson scattered six hits and struck out a pair.
- Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) followed Perkins performance with a complete game shutout of her own, the second of the season for the sophomore right-hander. She scattered four hits, while striking out seven in her second win of 2016.
- Sophomore Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) had a big game at the dish for CUW from the No. 9 spot in the order, delivering two hits, including a two-RBI single in the top of the sixth, scoring O'Keefe and sophomore Andrea Thiry (Green Bay, Wis.).
- Junior catcher Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) put the Falcons up 1-0 in the fifth with an RBI double, plating Peters. Rosenow, Thiry and Peters all paced the Falcons with two hits in the nightcap.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW has three wins this season and all three have come via a shutout. Brekke shut out Division II Lake Superior St., 11-0, back at the Finlandia Dome Tournament on February 27.
- The Falcons are back in action tomorrow with a pair of games against MIAC schools. CUW will open with Macalester at 1:00 p.m. (EST), before taking on Bethel at 3 p.m. The game against Macalester will feature live stats via the Macalester Sports Information Department.