CLERMONT, Fla. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team split a pair of one-run extra-inning games on the second day of its Florida spring trip Sunday. CUW opened the day with a 9-8 win over Macalester before falling by one against Bethel, 8-7.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Macalester 8 (F/8); Bethel 8, CUW 7 (F/8)
- Location: Foundation Academy
- Records: CUW 4-4; Macalester 3-3; Bethel 3-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opener, Macalester struck for two runs in the top of the 8th but the Falcons rallied with a three-run bottom-half of the inning for the 9-8 win. Freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) delivered the game-winning hit, a two-run single scoring sophomore Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) and freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.).
- Zazas also tallied two hits to pace the Falcons offense from the leadoff spot in the lineup. O'Keefe and freshman Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) each drove in a pair of runs, Rosenow delivering a two-run single in a four-run third inning for the Falcons.
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) tossed her second complete game in as many days, earning her second win of the season. Perkins struck out two and allowed five earned runs in the win.
- Nine different Falcons collected a hit in the win over Macalester. O'Keefe joined Zazas with a pair of hits to pace the attack.
- Against Bethel, CUW found itself on the other side of an extra-innings affair, falling by a run. After not scoring in the top half of the eight, the Falcons gave up one to Bethel in the bottom half in the one-run setback. In extra-inning games during the spring trip, a runner starts each inning at second base to help keep the games on schedule.
- Zazas once again paced the Falcons, collecting three hits in the second game. Four CUW players had multiple hits with Rosenow, sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) and freshman Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) each delivering two hits.
- The Falcons trailed 7-0 after two innings against Bethel but rallied to force extra innings. CUW scored six times in the top of the fourth, while tying the game in the sixth on an RBI from freshman Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.).
- The Falcons are back in action on Monday in Florida with games against Heidelberg (1 pm EST) and UW-River Falls (3 pm).