MEQUON, Wis. – After a week full of postponements, the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team finally took to the field for a NACC doubleheader Monday. The Falcons shook off some early rust in game one and came away with a sweep over Alverno behind a couple of strong pitching performances. CUW won game won 6-2, before Emily Brekke tossed a complete game shutout in a 1-0 win in the nightcap.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Alverno 2 (Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 1, Alverno 0 (Game 2)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: CUW 10-8, 2-0 NACC; Alverno 8-14, 1-5 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons fell behind 2-0 in the opener as the Inferno struck for a pair in the top of the first. Ashlie Rossi and Megan Hernandez drove in runs for Alverno in the first.
- CUW would slowly chip away, scoring one unearned run in the third, before taking the lead in the fourth with three runs. Sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) doubled in a run in the fourth, while CUW executed a heads up base running play to take the lead. Junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) singled and pinch runner Lauren Sulikowski (Orland Park, Ill.) advanced to third. Holsten caught the defense off guard, by stealing second before Alverno even readied for the next pitch. This allowed Sulikowski to steal home for the 3-2 lead.
- Freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) drove in the third run of the fourth with a sacrifice fly, while the Falcons added two more in the fifth, including an RBI double from sophomore Andrea Thiry (Green Bay, Wis.).
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) tossed six innings in the opener, picking up her sixth win of the season. Perkins faced two batters in the seventh before Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) came on for her second save of the year. Perkins finished the game with five strikeouts and scattered seven hits.
- Sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) tallied two hits to pace the Falcons offense. She also scored twice in the game one win.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Game two was a pitchers dual between Brekke and Rossi of the Inferno. Brekke got the upper hand, throwing the complete game shutout. She allowed just two baserunners, a pair of Inferno hits, and struck out four in her fourth win of the year. Rossi gave up four hits and struck out five in six strong innings for Alverno.
- Weinberger had the big hit of game two, an RBI double in the second inning, scoring sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.). Weinberger once gain tallied two hits, while freshman Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) recorded a double in her only at bat.
- CUW is scheduled to play 10 NACC games this week and will continue that stretch Wednesday against Wisconsin Lutheran. First pitch from the CUW Softball Field is set for 3 p.m.