MEQUON, Wis. – Senior Melissa Perkins pitched 10.1 quality innings over two games and junior Carly Sobrilsky homered twice in game two, leading the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team to a crucial sweep over Dominican Tuesday at the CUW Softball Field. The Falcons used a complete game from Perkins for a 2-1 win in the opener, while taking game two thanks to the offense, 11-6.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Dominican 1 (Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 11, Dominican 6 (Game 2)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 16-12, 8-4 NACC; Dominican 19-11, 9-5 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Game one was a pitcher's duel between Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) and Dominican's Sydney Kuderna. The two traded zeroes until the Stars took a 1-0 lead in the top of the sixth.
- The Falcons responded in the bottom half of the sixth, thanks to three straight singles from Maddie Zazas, Delaney O'Keefe and Deidra Weinberger. Weinberger's (Mayville, Wis.) single scored Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.), tying the game at 1-1. On the play Weinberger and O'Keefe moved up a base on the throw home, setting the Falcons up with runners at second and third.
- Following an unintentional intentional walk to Sobrilsky, sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) drove in O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) for the 2-1 lead on a groundout. The ball was hit to short, but there was no time to get O'Keefe at home, forcing an out at second and giving the Falcons the lead.
- Perkins would get the Stars down in order in the seventh, completing her 10th win of the season. She allowed five hits and one run, while striking out two and issuing no walks. The win also gave Perkins double-digit wins for each season of her Falcons career.
- Weinberger paced the Falcons offense with two hits, while Sharon had a double. CUW outhit the Stars, 7-5. Kuderna finished her complete game effort for Dominican by allowing two runs and striking out three.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons brought the bats in the first inning with five runs in game two. They chased Stars starter Haley Locher in the first with Weinberger recording an RBI double and freshman Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) driving in two with a single. Sharon and junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) added RBI, Holsten's an RBI double as well.
- Dominican made things interesting, scoring two in the second and making the score 5-2 before Sobrilsky hit the first of her home runs to lead off the third inning. The Stars would respond, scoring three times in the fourth and putting the go-ahead run on second base. Perkins entered the game with runners on second and third and two outs with the Falcons clinging to a one-run lead. She forced a groundout, keeping CUW in front.
- The Falcons would add a run in the fifth and broke the game open with a four-run sixth, three coming on Sobrilsky's second blast of the game. She finished the nightcap 2-for-2 with three runs scored and four RBI.
- Perkins got the win by throwing 3.1 innings of quality relief. She allowed just one hit, a solo home run for the Stars Ali Woitovich in the seventh. Kuderna, who pitched 4.2 decent innings in relief for the Stars, also homered in the game.
- Zazas and Sharon joined Weinberger and Holsten with doubles in game two as the Falcons totaled 13 hits. O'Keefe led the way with three, while Weinberger, Sobrilsky, Sharon and Holsten each added a pair.
- The Falcons will visit Edgewood for a NACC doubleheader Thursday evening. First pitch is sets for 6 p.m. at Ceniti Park in Verona, Wis.