LISLE, Ill. – A four-run fifth inning in game two helped the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team split a NACC doubleheader at Benedictine University Friday afternoon. The Falcons, who clinched a NACC Tournament berth in the process, won game two by a 4-3 score after falling in the opener, 2-0.
- Final Scores: Benedictine 2, Concordia Wisconsin 0 (Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 4, Benedictine 3 (Game 2)
- Location: Sports Complex – Lisle, Ill.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 23-15, 13-7 NACC; Benedictine 25-13, 13-7 NACC
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- With the game scoreless entering the fifth, the Falcons bats finally awakened with four runs. A two-RBI triple from sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) highlighted the frame, while freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) and junior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) drove in runs as well.
- Benedictine would make things interesting, scoring twice in the fifth and once in the seventh. Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) came on with runners on first and second and no outs in the seventh to earn her first save of the season. One of the runners Perkins inherited scored, but she did her job in preserving the win for the Falcons.
- Perkins was in relief of sophomore Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) who tossed six quality innings. She allowed three runs, while striking out one in her eighth win of the season.
- Freshman Sara Rosenow (Appleton, Wis.) paced the Falcons with a 3-for-3 effort at the plate, which included a run scored. Weinberger added two hits, including the two-RBI triple.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- It was a pitcher's duel between Perkins and Holly Haberkorn in the opener, with Haberkorn getting the upper hand. She tossed a complete game shutout, allowing just three hits with four strikeouts.
- Perkins pitched well for the Falcons, surrendering just a pair of runs, one earned, while striking out two.
- Benedictine scored once in the first and added a run in the fourth for the 2-0 win. Three Falcons collected hits in game two, one of them a double off the bat of sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.).
- The Falcons will host Concordia Chicago in the regular season finale tomorrow at the CUW Softball Field. The doubleheader is scheduled for a noon start.