MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team finished the Finlandia Dome Tournament with a 3-1 record after splitting two games Sunday. The Falcons took down UW-Stevens Point 8-0 in five innings on Sunday before falling 4-3 to UW-Superior. The Yellowjackets scored three runs in the seventh to defeat the Falcons in their final tournament game.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 8, UW-Stevens Point 0 (F/5); UW-Superior 4, Concordia Wisconsin 3
- Location: Superior Dome – Marquette, Michigan
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-1; UW-Stevens Point 2-4; UW-Superior 2-2
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 8, UW-STEVENS POINT 0 (F/5)
- The Falcons made quick work of the Pointers in the early game, winning their second straight game via the eight-run rule. CUW struck once in the second inning, four times in the third, twice in the fourth and then won the game with a run in the bottom of the fifth inning for the 8-0 final.
- Junior Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) was in command for the Falcons in the circle, throwing a two-hit complete game shutout. She struck out two, while not issuing a free pass to move her record to 2-0.
- CUW broke the game open with the three-run third inning, highlighted by a two-RBI single from sophomore Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.). Rosenow finished the game 2-for-3 with three RBI, adding an RBI single in the bottom of the second. Sophomore Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) added an RBI double in the third, while sophomore Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) also drove in a run in the frame.
- Zazas had two hits for the Falcons, adding a triple from the leadoff position. Bonnin also doubled in the game, while senior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) paced the team with three hits. Junior Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) added two hits and an RBI, while junior Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) scored two runs.
UW-SUPERIOR 4, CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 3
- It appeared the Falcons were going to finish the tournament with a perfect 4-0 record as they led 3-0 heading into the sixth inning of their contest with UW-Superior. The Yellowjackets had other ideas, however, scoring once in the sixth and three times in the seventh for the 4-3 win.
- Brekke again threw well for the Falcons in game two, pitching five scoreless innings. She scattered five hits and struck out three before handing things over to the bullpen.
- Reiser went 3-for-3 against UW-Superior, totaling half of the Falcons hits in the contest, one of those a double. Freshman Molly O'Connell added an RBI single as did Holsten, while Rosenow collected the other hit for CUW.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW finished the tournament with a 3-1 record as only UW-Oshkosh had a better mark, going 5-1. The Falcons did beat the Titans 3-2 on Saturday. Marian, Calvin, and Carroll all posted 3-1 records as well and CUW did not face any of those teams.
- The Falcons will have a couple weeks off before going on their spring break trip to Clermont, Florida. CUW opens that trip with two games Saturday, March 11 against Scranton and Millikin.