CLERMONT, Fla. – Maddie Zazas hit a walk-off two-run home run in the opening game of the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team's 10-game Florida trip, one of three home runs for the Falcons on a 2-0 day. CUW opened the trip with a 4-3 extra-inning win over Scranton thanks to Zazas walk-off home run and then downed Millikin, 6-4.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Scranton 3 (F/8); CUW 6, Millikin 4
- Location: Clermont, Florida
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-1; Scranton 0-1; Millikin 2-4
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 4, SCRANTON 3 (F/8)
- The Falcons and Royals needed extra innings to settle the score in the opener. Due to trying to keep things on schedule, international tiebreaker rules are in place for extras, meaning teams start with a runner on second base.
- After the Royals scored one in the top of the eighth, they quickly retired two Falcons with strikeouts. Facing their final out it was the sophomore Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) who delivered with a two-out two-run home run, scoring senior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) as well.
- The Falcons other two runs also came on a two-run blast, this one coming in the bottom of the fifth off the bat of sophomore Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.). With CUW trailing 2-0, Rosenow belted the two-run shot, which also plated Holsten.
- Junior Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) moved her record to 3-0 on the season with a complete-game effort. She scattered eight hits and did not allow an earned run. Two of the runs surrendered came on a two-run home run by the Royals in the third, putting CUW in a 2-0 deficit at the time. Brekke finished the game with four strikeouts and just one free pass.
- Rosenow paced the Falcons with two hits, while freshman Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) added a double.
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 6, MILLIKIN 4
- The Falcons jumped out to a lead against Millikin, scoring three runs in the second and one in the fourth for a 4-0 lead. The Big Blue rallied back with a three-run fifth, but sophomore Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) had a big pinch-hit two-RBI single to give the Falcons some insurance in the sixth.
- CUW was again aided by a home run as junior Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) belted a two-run blast in the three-run second. Junior Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) put the Falcons in the lead with an RBI triple, scoring Emma Schimberg (Random Lake, Wis.). Schimberg was pinch running for senior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.), who started the inning with a single.
- O'Connell picked up her second win of the season for the Falcons by throwing four scoreless innings. Brekke picked up the save, pitching the final three innings. She allowed four runs, but all were unearned.
- Reiser tallied two hits to pace the CUW attack as seven different players collected hits. She and Bonnin each drove in two.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons 5-1 start is the best for the program, dating back to the 2017 season. Since 2007, CUW had never posted a better start than 3-3.
- The Falcons will return to action tomorrow for two more games. CUW will play UW-River Falls at 8:00 a.m. (eastern) before taking on Arcadia shortly after.