CLERMONT, Fla. – Both games Wednesday for the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team featured an improbable comeback victory. In the opener, it was the Falcons who rallied from five down with a six-run sixth inning for a 9-8 win over Anderson. The second game saw CUW on the wrong end of a comeback as Oswego St. scored four times in the bottom of the seventh to stun the Falcons, 6-5.
- Final Scores: CUW 9, Anderson 8; Oswego St. 6, CUW 5
- Location: Clermont, Florida
- Records: CUW 8-4; Anderson 3-1; Oswego St. 2-4
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 9, ANDERSON 8
- The Falcons trailed 8-1 after three-and-a-half innings before coming back with two runs in the bottom of the fourth and six in the fifth for a 9-8 comeback victory. The comeback was aided by two of the Falcons three home runs in the game, a two-run shot by Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) in the fourth and a two-run blast from Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) in the fifth.
- Reiser and Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) collected RBI singles in the fifth as well, while the Falcons last two runs were scored on a bases loaded walk and hit batsmen.
- Once taking the lead, CUW brought in junior Emily Brekke for the final two innings in the circle and she delivered for her third save of the season. Brekke was perfect in retiring all six batters she faced over the final two innings.
- Freshman Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) got the start and the win for CUW as she was pulled once, but re-entered the game and was pitching as her team took the lead. Nicole Lewis (Manhattan, Ill.) also saw action for CUW in the circle.
- Senior Lexi Holsten paced the Falcons with three hits in the game. Junior Christine Sharon added a solo home run for CUW in the second inning, while Weinberger and Reiser each had two hits and three RBI. O'Connell added a double to help the Falcons attack.
OSWEGO ST. 6, CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 5
- The game between the Falcons and Lakers was scoreless until a wild final two innings of play. The Falcons opened the scoring with four runs in the top of the sixth inning. Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) drove in the first run with a bunt, while Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) and sophomore Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) tallied RBI singles in the frame.
- The Lakers answered with two in the bottom half of the sixth before the Falcons scored once in the seventh on an RBI single by Sharon.
- The game turned in the bottom of the seventh as Oswego State scored four times to help secure the 6-5 win. Rebecca Vilchez had the walk-off hit for the Lakers, a two-RBI double.
- Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) took the loss for the Falcons, pitching 6.1 innings, striking out seven.
- The Falcons will conclude their Florida trip tomorrow with two more games. CUW will take on Salve Regina at 8 a.m. (eastern) before battling Gallaudet in their Florida finale.