CLERMONT, Fla. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team wrapped up its 10-game Florida trip with a pair of games Thursday morning. For the second straight day, CUW split its two contests, this time falling in the opener against Salve Regina, 4-3, before routing Gallaudet, 14-3, in the second game.
- Final Scores: Salve Regina 4, CUW 3; CUW 14, Gallaudet 3 (F/5)
- Location: Clermont, Florida
- Records: CUW 9-5; Salve Regina 4-6; Gallaudet 5-9-1
SALVE REGINA 4, CUW 3
- The Falcons squandered a lead in the opening game, seeing a 3-1 advantage disappear over the final two innings. Salve Regina scored twice in the sixth to tie it, and walked it off with a run in the bottom of the seventh, completing the comeback.
- Kristen Hickey belted a two-run home run for Salve Regina in the sixth to tie the game at 3-3. They would go on to win the game when Francesca Galeazzi stole third in the bottom of the seventh and scored on a throwing error.
- Junior Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) pitched well for the Falcons, but Salve Regina was able to get to her over the final two innings. She finished the game with six strikeouts and three earned runs allowed. Kelsey Boarman got the win with a complete-game effort, striking out three.
- Five different Falcons collected hits in the opener as leadoff batter Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) drove in two runs with a two-RBI single in the second.
CUW 14, GALLAUDET 3 (FINAL 5 INNINGS)
- The Falcons got back on track with a 14-3 win in five innings in game two. CUW scored multiple runs in every at-bat, including four each in the first, second, and fourth innings.
- Junior Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) drove in four runs to pace the Falcons attack, while freshman Shelby Fischer (Joliet, Ill.) belted a pinch-hit home run in the fourth inning. Zazas finished the game with two hits, two runs scored, and two RBI.
- Freshman Amy Kornowski (Hartland, Wis.) picked up her first career win by pitching three innings of relief. She allowed just three hits in three scoreless frames with a trio of strikeouts.
- The Falcons are scheduled to return to play with a pair of home games on March 25. CUW will host Northland and UW-Platteville.