MEQUON, Wis. – As is usually the case, the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball home opener was played in chilly temperatures on Wednesday afternoon. One thing that wasn't cold was the Falcons lineup, as they scored 24 runs in two games for a sweep of Mount Mary. The Falcons took the opener 13-0 before an 11-1 win in the nightcap.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 13, Mount Mary 0 (F/5); CUW 11, MMU 1 (F/5)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 11-5; MMU 3-11
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 13, MOUNT MARY 0 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons jumped on the Blue Angels early with a seven-run first inning in the opener. Three straight singles and a walk put CUW up 1-0 before senior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) belted a grand slam. Sobrilsky finished game one with four RBI and would add five more in game two.
- The Falcons would add two more runs in the second and four in the fourth before completing the win via the eight-run rule. Junior Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) picked up her fifth win of the season with a six-strikeout, complete-game effort.
- Sobrilsky led the way with her grand slam, while junior Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) finished the game 3-for-3 with three RBI. Holsten added two hits, two runs scored and two RBI, while junior Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) posted a 2-for-2 effort with three runs scored, which included a double. Junior Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) added two hits for the Falcons.
- Freshman Shelby Fischer (Joliet, Ill.) added a pinch-hit, two-RBI single for the Falcons in the win. Fischer has driven in four runs in two collegiate at bats and boasts a slugging percentage of 2.500.
CONCORDIA WISCONSIN 11, MOUNT MARY 1 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons fell behind in the second contest as Amelia Flint of Mount Mary belted a solo home run in the top of the first. CUW would get going with six runs in the third and five in the fourth, winning the second game via the eight-run rule as well.
- Sobrilsky added five more RBI in the nightcap, including a three-run home run in the third. Reiser would add a three-run blast in the fourth as the duo finished the day with a combined 15 RBI. Sobrilsky also tallied a two-RBI single in the fourth inning.
- Freshman Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) gained her fifth win of 2017 with a three-inning outing. She allowed two hits and struck out one. Sophomore Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) threw two scoreless innings in relief.
- CUW finished with just seven hits in game two but also showcased patience at the plate with seven walks. Sobrilsky had three hits to pace the Falcons, while sophomore Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.), O'Connell, Sharon, and Sobrilsky each scored twice.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW has swept its home-opening double in four straight seasons. Three of the eight wins have now come via the eight-run rule in the past four home-opening twinbills.
- The Falcons are now 10-0 all-time against Mount Mary. CUW has outscored the Blue Angels 164-8 in those 10 games.
- The Falcons have won 12 straight non-conference home games.
- CUW is scheduled to open play tomorrow night with a doubleheader at Dominican. First pitch is set for 5:30 p.m.