MEQUON, Wis. – Emily Brekke threw seven innings in each game while Molly O'Connell and Carly Sobrilsky delivered walk-off hits, lifting the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team to a sweep of Lakeland in its NACC-opening doubleheader Sunday. Brekke went the distance in a 2-1 game one win, while Sobrilsky delivered the game-winning hit in the 11th inning of game two to complete the sweep.
- Final Scores: CUW 2, Lakeland 1 (Game One); CUW 5, Lakeland 4 (F/11 – Game Two)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 13-5, 2-0 NACC; Lakeland 8-10, 2-2 NACC
EMILY BREKKE AND ALLISON PETERS POSTGAME
CUW 2, LAKELAND 1 (GAME ONE)
- Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) nearly threw a shutout in the opener as the Falcons led 1-0 with two outs in the top of the seventh. With the count full, Lakeland's Jessica Beaudry hit a game-tying solo home run, forcing the Falcons at-bat in the seventh. Brekke finished the complete game with eight strikeouts and she took a no-hitter to the sixth inning. She allowed just two hits in her sixth win of the year.
- In the seventh, Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) started the frame with a bunt single. Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) bunted her over to second, setting the stage for O'Connell (New London, Wis.). O'Connell singled up the middle and Peters slid in safely to home, giving the Falcons a 2-1 victory.
- CUW got on the board in the fourth inning when Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) drove in pinch runner Jacqueline deWerff (Hartland, Wis.) with an RBI single. Reiser paced the Falcons with two hits in the opener, as did Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.).
CUW 5, LAKELAND 4 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons needed 11 innings to complete the sweep but ended the game when Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) drove in Weinberger with a single down the right field line. Weinberger reached on an error to start the rally.
- Brekke came on in the fifth inning and threw seven innings of one-run ball to finish off the 2-0 day. She struck out seven batters and totaled 206 pitches over the two contests. O'Connell started the game and Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) pitched one inning as well.
- After Lakeland took the lead in the second, Reiser evened the score with a solo home run in the bottom half of the inning. It was the fourth home run of the season for Reiser.
- The Falcons went up 4-1 with a three-run third in thanks in large part to a two-run scoring double off the bat of Peters. Zazas would then double in Peters to complete the three-run frame.
- The Muskies responded with a three-run fifth inning all the runs being scored via home runs. Megan Laib belted a solo shot, while pinch-hitter Paige Chladek tied the game with a two-run blast.
- CUW will remain at home for a doubleheader against UW-Platteville Tuesday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.