ROSEMONT, Ill. – After a heartbreaking, 2-1, 12-inning game one loss, the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team could have come out flat in game two and could have left Dominican with a pair of conference losses. Instead, the Falcons responded in a big way with an 11-0, six-inning game two win to secure a NACC split Thursday.
- Final Scores: DU 2, CUW 1 (F/12); CUW 11, DU 0 (F/6)
- Location: The Ballpark at Rosemont – Rosemont, Illinois
- Records: CUW 14-6, 3-1 NACC; DU 16-6, 1-3 NACC
CUW 11, DOMINICAN 0 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons did all of their damage in their last three at-bats. CUW opened the scoring when Jacqueline deWerff (Hartland, Wis.) scored on a wild pitch in the fourth inning. From there, the Falcons would tack on four in the fifth and six in the sixth for the convincing win.
- Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) collected two hits, including a double and drove in three to lead the Falcons offense in the 11-0 win. Leadoff batter Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) collected three hits while Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) added two for the Falcons.
- Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) drove in a pair of runs for the Falcons in the game two victory. Ten different players scored a run in the win, led by Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) who crossed home twice.
- Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) was brilliant in the circle for CUW in game two, registering her first complete-game effort of the season. O'Connell gave up just three hits in six innings with one strikeout and one walk. She gained her sixth win of the season.
DOMINICAN 2, CUW 1 (GAME ONE – 12 INNINGS)
- For the second straight game, CUW went to extra innings. The Falcons needed 11 innings to outlast Lakeland in game two Sunday and were on the other end of the spectrum in Thursday's opener.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) went the distance for the Falcons in the opener in a gutsy effort. She allowed two runs, one earned, and struck out seven batters. Brekke, who threw 206 pitches over 14 innings in two games against Lakeland last Sunday, threw 187 on Thursday.
-Cat Klosterman got the win for the Stars, throwing the final six innings without giving up a run. Sydney Kuderna started the game for Dominican and went the first six innings.
- Dominican won the game on an error committed by the Falcons in the 12th. CUW played shaky defense in the opener, committing four errors. The Stars took the lead in game one in the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by Marissa Burns.
- The Falcons tied the game in the sixth inning when Sobrilsky doubled in O'Connell. O'Connell paced CUW with two hits.
- CUW will visit Alverno for a road NACC doubleheader Saturday. First pitch is set for noon in Milwaukee.