MEQUON, Wis. – MSOE entered Sunday's doubleheader against the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team with an 11-game winning streak and a perfect 6-0 NACC record. The Falcons ended both of those streaks, sweeping the Raiders with wins of 3-0 and 7-3, moving to 7-1 in the NACC in the process. The wins completed a 4-0 weekend for CUW, and also marked the program's 13th and 14th straight victories at home dating back to last season.
- Final Scores: CUW 3, MSOE 0 (Game One); CUW 7, MSOE 3 (Game Two)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 18-6, 7-1 NACC; MSOE 17-7, 6-2 NACC
HOLSTEN AND SHARON POSTGAME
CUW 3, MSOE 0 (GAME ONE)
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) continued her impressive junior season with a complete game shutout in the opener. Brekke had the MSOE hitters off balance all game, allowing just three hits with nine strikeouts in her ninth win of the season.
- The Falcons took the lead in the bottom of the second thanks to an error by MSOE. With a runner on first, Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) singled to right field, allowing Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) to reach third base. As that was happening, the Raiders throw went past third and Sharon sprinted home for the 1-0 lead.
- CUW again took advantage of an MSOE error in the fifth inning, scoring a pair of runs. Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) drove in Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.), while Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) made the score 3-0 with an RBI double, plating Weinberger.
- Shannon Curtis took the loss for MSOE in the opener despite not allowing an earned run. She went the distance, throwing six innings, allowing nine hits with a couple of strikeouts.
CUW 7, MSOE 3 (GAME TWO)
- Game two featured more offense, highlighted by the Falcons four-run first inning. Sharon started the party with a two-run single and Holsten immediately followed with a two-run single of her own.
- The Raiders scored once in the top of the second but the Falcons responded with three more in the bottom half of the frame. Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) drove in a run with a bases-loaded walk and Lauren Sulikowski (Orland Park, Ill.) and Weinberger each scored on an error to help the Falcons extend their early lead.
- MSOE would score a couple more runs, one each in the third and fourth innings, but the Falcons worked out of each to limit the damage. CUW turned two double plays in the game, making great defensive plays when they needed them most.
- Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) earned the win by throwing two relief innings, allowing one unearned run. She handed the ball over the Brekke for the final six outs and she slammed the door shut with two perfect innings, striking out five. It was the fifth save of the season for Brekke.
- Zazas and Weinberger each collected three hits in game two to pace the Falcons attack with Weinberger scoring a pair of runs. Sharon added two hits, including a double while Sobrilsky recorded a pair of singles.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW has won 14 straight home games dating back to last season. The Falcons won their final eight at home in 2016 and have won their first six at the CUW Softball Field in 2017.
- Brekke is making her case for the top pitcher in the conference as she ranks first in the league in ERA (1.20) and is tied for first with 91 strikeouts. She also ranks tied for fourth with nine wins and leads the NACC with five saves.
- The Falcons will visit Wisconsin Lutheran for a NACC doubleheader Wednesday afternoon. First pitch from Milwaukee is set for 3 p.m.