MILWAUKEE – In the opening game of a NACC doubleheader at Wisconsin Lutheran Wednesday, the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team continued its impressive play, winning its sixth straight game. Unfortunately for the Falcons, their momentum was stopped in game two as they split the twinbill with the Warriors. CUW won the opener, 9-3, before falling by an 8-2 score in the nightcap.
- Final Scores: CUW 9, WLC 3 (Game One); WLC 8, CUW 2 (Game Two)
- Location: Neumann Family Field – Milwaukee
- Records: CUW 19-7, 8-2 NACC; WLC 8-14, 5-5 NACC
CUW 9, WLC 3 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons rolled in the opener, building an 8-0 lead after four-and-a-half innings of play. The Warriors avoided the eight-run rule with a three-run fifth but CUW completed the win, adding a run in the top of the seventh.
- After scoring an unearned run in the first, CUW plated three runs in the top of the second, two on a single from Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.). Zazas then drove in Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) with her first RBI single, one of two runs for Rosenow in the 9-3 win.
- The Falcons continued to build their lead with a four-run fifth inning. Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) drove in the first run of the frame while Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) plated one with a RBI single. Holsten also scored the final run of the frame on a wild pitch. Zazas had the game's final RBI, a single plating Rosenow in the seventh.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) picked up her 10th win of the season with another complete game effort. Brekke scattered five hits and allowed three runs, two earned to go along with six strikeouts compared to three walks.
- Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) and Holsten each collected two hits for the Falcons in the opener.
WLC 8, CUW 2 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons defense did not have their best game in the nightcap, resulting in seven of the Warriors eight runs to be scored unearned. CUW committed four errors in the setback.
- The Warriors led 3-2 after three innings and then broke the game open with a four-run fourth, making the score 7-2. Wisconsin Lutheran would add its final run in the fifth inning.
- Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) paced the Falcons with two hits in the nightcap. She also got the start in the circle and took the loss, despite allowing zero earned runs. She gave up three runs, all unearned, in three innings of work. Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) and Nicole Lewis (Manhattan, Ill.) also pitched for the Falcons.
- Taylor Bjork had a strong game in leading the Warriors to the split. Bjork pitched the whole contest, allowing two runs with one strikeout and no walks. At the plate, Bjork collected three hits, two of those being doubles and also drove in two runs.
- The Falcons will return home for a NACC doubleheader on Saturday against Marian. First pitch of the twinbill is set for noon.