MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team had plenty to celebrate on Saturday. The Falcons celebrated the careers of two seniors and three juniors who are concluding their careers with the program in 2017. CUW also celebrated a sweep over Edgewood, wins of 8-3 and 18-0, helping the Falcons stay atop the NACC standings. In the second win, junior Emily Brekke threw her second no-hitter over the past week.
- Final Scores: CUW 8, Edgewood 3 (Game One); CUW 18, Edgewood 0 (Game Two)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 25-7, 14-2 NACC; Edgewood 4-28, 1-15 NACC
CARLY SOBRILSKY AND LEXI HOLSTEN POSTGAME
CUW 8, EDGEWOOD 3 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons jumped out to a 7-0 lead after three innings of play in the opener, which included a four-run first inning. Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) and Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) had RBI hits in the opening frame, Reiser's a run-scoring double.
- CUW finished the opening game with 15 hits, three of those coming off Reiser's bat. Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.), Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.), Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.), and Rosenow all added two hits for the Falcons. Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) added a triple, while O'Connell, Reiser, Sharon and Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) all doubled in the win.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) continued her dominance in the circle by throwing four shutout frames for her 14th win of the season. Brekke gave up one hit to the leadoff batter and did not allow another baserunner the rest of game one, finishing with five strikeouts. O'Connell threw the final three innings, recording her first save of the season.
- Shannon Whitmus had two hits to pace Edgewood in the opener.
CUW 18, EDGEWOOD 0 (GAME TWO)
- Between the Falcons scoring 18 times in four at-bats and Brekke throwing her third career no-hitter, the Falcons had all facets of their game working in the second contest. Brekke allowed just two runners to reach base in nine innings in the circle on Saturday, throwing five hitless frames in game two. Brekke struck out six in the second game.
- CUW plated eight runs in the first, added two in the second and piled on eight more in the fourth for the 18-0 win.
- On Senior Day, it was the two seniors who had the best games at the plate in the second contest. Sobrilsky went 3-for-4 with a triple, two runs scored and four RBIs. Senior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) finished the game 3-for-3 with a double, two runs scored, and four RBIs.
- Zazas also tripled in game two finishing with two for the day. O'Connell and Weinberger had two hits, while Peters drove in a pair of runs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sobrilsky and Holsten were two seniors honored after the game for their careers with the Falcons. In addition, juniors Brekke, Weinberger, and Sharon were all honored as each player will not return next season in pursuing various academic adventures or due to early graduation.
- Sobrilsky and Holsten have been a part of 100 wins over their four years as Falcons. Sobrilsky ranks second all-time in home runs, while Holsten is second on the all-time doubles list.
- CUW will visit Rockford for a NACC doubleheader tomorrow at noon.