MEQUON, Wis. – Samantha Blissett sank a pair of free throws with seconds left and blocked a UW-Platteville 3-point attempt before the buzzer sounded to secure a Concordia Wisconsin 66-63 non-conference season-opening victory on Tuesday night.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 66, UW-Platteville 63
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, UW-Platteville 0-1
QUOTING STACEY BRUNNER-JONES
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons nearly blew a 10-point advantage over the last six minutes of play, but Blissett sank 3-of-4 free throws in the final 20.2 seconds and her defensive efforts shined with the game on the line, as she blocked Morgan Horstman's 24-foot 3-point attempt.
- Concordia Wisconsin and UW-Platteville went back-and-forth throughout the game with mini runs that didn't fully secure momentum for either team. The Falcons led by a game-best 10 points in the fourth quarter, while the Pioneers held a six-point lead midway through the second quarter.
- UW-Platteville used its length to stay in the game, finishing with a commanding 47-33 difference in rebounds and a 6-4 edge in blocks. Meanwhile, The Falcons harassing defense caused 28 turnovers and stole 14 passes in a game that featured success on both ends of the court.
- Blissett (senior, Springfield, Ill.) tied a career-high with 14 points, to go along with five steals and two assists.
- Freshman Clara Chambers (Darlington, Wis.) was impressive during her collegiate debut with 11 points and four assists. Junior Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) added nine points, five rebounds, four assists, two blocks and two steals.
- Junior Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) tallied eight points and 10 rebounds during 24 minutes of action. Senior Taylor DeLong (Milwaukee, Wis.) led the bench efforts with 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, while also grabbing five rebounds and stealing two passes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin defeated UW-Platteville for the second-consecutive season by three points.
- The victory was the fourth time in a row the Falcons won their home opener.
- Allison Prestegaard led the Pioneers with 12 points, 11 rebounds, six blocks and two steals.
- Morgan Horstman led all players with 21 points on 7-of-15 shooting and also had seven rebounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons to Beloit for a Saturday non-conference game at 3 pm.