MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin pulled away in the fourth quarter behind a lock-down team defensive effort that held Alverno to just six points and Audrey Scharmer had a career game with 17 points and 16 rebounds, which resulted in a 66-47 NACC victory on Saturday inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 66, Alverno 47
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-2, 8-1 NACC; Alverno 4-9, 4-4 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Inferno hung with the Falcons throughout the game and were down by just eight points entering the last 10 minutes of play. However, Concordia Wisconsin put the pressure on Alverno and limited them to just six points on 1-of-8 shooting and four turnovers. The hosts turned an eight-point lead into 14 in less than five minutes into the final period.
- While Gabby Hood made impact plays for the Inferno with a game-high 20 points, it was junior Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) who had a career game of her own for the Falcons. The forward tallied a career-high 17 points on 7-of-13 shooting and grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds, including six offensive. She also tallied three assists and three steals to lead Concordia Wisconsin with a strong inside presence.
- During the fourth quarter as the Falcons were pulling away, junior Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) came alive scoring six of her 14 points during the final period.
- When Hood wasn't sprinting up the court for fast break Alverno layups, Concordia Wisconsin forced 19 turnovers and converted those errors into 20 points. Concordia Wisconsin ended the game shooting 45.9 percent (28-of-61), while Alverno shot 35.3 percent (18-of-51) in the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Scharmer's double-double was her third of the season and the eighth for the team. Her 16 rebounds were tied for the 10th most in a game in program history.
- Senior Samantha Blissett (Springfield, Ill.) had season-high seven assists while committing just one turnover. Over the last three games, she has 16 assists and two turnovers. As well, during that stretch, she also has seven steals.
- Gabby Hood led all players with a game-high 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting; to go along with nine rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Donna Zehner grabbed five rebounds and scored five points, while Katelyn Bartlett had six rebounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host NACC-leading Wisconsin Lutheran on Wednesday at 7 pm inside the R. John Buuck Field House.