MEQUON, Wis. – Kristen Kennedy and Lexi Holman scored first-period goals and Christina Pattengale and the defense held on in third as the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey team opened NCHA play with a 2-1 victory over St. Norbert College Tuesday night. The win was the second straight for the Falcons, moving them to 2-1-0 early in the season.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, St. Norbert 1
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-1-0, 1-0-0 NCHA; St. Norbert 0-2-0, 0-1-0 NCHA
LEXI HOLMAN POSTGAME
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons struck twice in the first period, the first of those coming 3:45 into play. Sophomore Kristen Kennedy (London, Ontario) netted her second goal of the season at that point, coming off an assist from sophomore Ellie Woodman (Janesville, Wis.).
- Junior captain Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) gave CUW a 2-0 lead with 4:09 remaining in the opening stanza. Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) picked up the assist on Holman's first tally of the season.
- After a scoreless second, St. Norbert cut the Falcons lead to 2-1 just 5:35 into the final stanza. Reaghan Chadwick scored the power play goal for the Green Knights.
- Pattengale (Portage, Mich.), who finished the night with 21 saves, only had to make three stops in the final period, but one of those was the highlight of the night. With her team up 2-1, St. Norbert had what appeared to be a wide-open net from the left wing but Pattengale dove across the net to stop the puck and keep CUW on top.
- The Falcons defense did an outstanding job blocking shots in front of Pattengale all night, specifically on the penalty kill and in the third period. CUW was outshot 22-18 in the contest in terms of shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons move to 5-4-1 in NCHA openers and Tuesday's win was just their third over St. Norbert all time. It also gives CUW a win over a team which finished ahead of them in the NCHA standings a season ago.
- The Green Knights power play goal was the first power play score against CUW this season. The Falcons have killed off eight-of-nine opponents power plays.
- CUW will visit Marian Friday for another NCHA showdown. The Falcons and Sabres are set for a 7 p.m. start in Fond du Lac.