FOND DU LAC, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey team fell in an NCHA road matchup at Marian Friday night, falling by a score of 2-1. The Falcons lone goal came early in the second period, but the Sabres posted the game-winner late in the second and held on in the third for the one-goal win.
- Final Score: Marian 2, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Location: Blue Line Family Ice Center Rink B – Fond du Lac, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-2-0, 1-1-0 NCHA; Marian 1-1-0, 1-0-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 1-0 due to a power play goal from the Sabres with just 38 seconds remaining in the opening stanza, CUW came out strong in the second to tie things up at 1-1. Junior captain Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) netted her second goal of the season just seven seconds into the period. Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) assisted on the play.
- The 1-1 score would hold until later in the second when the Sabres went up for good on an unassisted score by Sarah Bier. The eventual game-winning goal came with 3:15 remaining in the second.
- Marian would hold on for the win in the third period, one that continued to see excellent goaltender play. Sophomore Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) finished the night with 26 saves, while her counterpart, Lindsey Strainis stopped 31 shots.
- The Falcons held a 32-28 edge in shots during the game, including a 26-15 advantage over the final two periods of play.
- A struggling power play proved to be key for the Falcons as they were 0-for-8 on Friday night. The Sabres finished 1-for-5 on the power play.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW had just one loss ever against Marian entering Friday night, the other coming in November of 2014.
- CUW hosts No. 5 Adrian tomorrow afternoon at the Ozaukee Ice Center. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m.